Chapter 40 × Grieving

(Killeso's POV)

"WE KNEW WE SHOULDN'T HAVE LET HER LEAVE WITH YOU! YOU CAN'T EVEN PROTECT HER! GET OUT, YOU INSOLENT BASTARD!"

The words of Fayore's father replayed in my head like a catchy tune. Hunter had called him and told him to rush over. Once he arrived, him and Rossi ran to Fayore's room.

Rossi burst into tears, which is understandable. Bradley stared at his daughter in shock and sadness. However, once his eyes made contact with my slumped over form next to her bed, his eyes filled with anger and he spat out those words of aggression.

Rossi didn't make an effort to comfort her mate. She simply let her tears trail down her pale face as she stared at Fayore.

I had left as her father said, knowing that now was not the time to push the father. He was lucky that I understood his feelings. If it were any other situation, he would have been immediately beheaded for disrespect.

I sat silently on the chair in my Fayore's bedroom, my index finger and thumb gripping my chin as my arm rested on her small desk.

"So, this is her room, huh?" A calm, country accented voice spoke.

I turned my head to see the woman who Fayore's mother had disagreed with the first time I met them, the seer.

"I'm Linda, remember me? The ole bat with a lil country tunin' in her strangs!" She chuckled, her voice light.

"Yes, I remember you, ma'am." I spoke, clearing my throat as I could hear how much sadness my voice held.

Her smile dropped slightly and she walked towards me. She leaned against the desk and looked at me.

"You know, sonny, no one blames ya for what happened."

I chuckled bitterly, knowing that was a lie, "Bradley does, Rossi does...I do."

"Bradley is just pullin ya buttons. He only blames ya because he doesn't wanna admit he blames himself. He's terrified that she'll leave um again." She stated matter-of-factly, rolling her eyes.

I didn't respond, simply humming at what she said. No matter what Linda said, I knew Bradley was right.

Linda sighed, straightening her back and rolling her shoulders.

"The goddess sent me a vision. She wanted me to pass it to ya," She started, grabbing my attention, "The vision was of you and Fay. Ya'll were both happy, very happy."

"So...mate will live?" I asked, my heart racing joyfully at the possible conformation.

"People will die."

And with that, Linda stood and walked out the room.

I stared at where she previously sat with confusion and slight fear.

People will die

People will die

People will die

But who?

Why did she leave?

Why didn't she tell me if Fayore will live?

I looked toward the small play pen in the corner, forgetting about Linda for a split second, noticing half a small chocolate piece of cake. I smiled, realizing that Fayore had stolen that piece of cake, as I had told her not to eat any yet.

'Our sly little mate...' Aeranian whispered, desperation for his mate evident in his hoarse tone.

Up until now, Aeranian had not spoken a word. He went silent after we were told about Fayore's near comatose condition. And that was three days ago. So, it was a shock to hear Aeranian comment at all.

'A, she will be okay.'

'How can you try to assure me, when you, yourself, not believe your own words?'

I did not respond, as he was right. I don't know if she will be alright. I don't know if it's my fault. I don't know when or if she will wake up. I don't know how she'll feel when she wakes up. Hell, from what the doctor said, I don't even know if she'll remember anything when she wakes up!

I don't know much.

All I know is that someone's going to die in this war for happiness I somehow seem to be in.

But, again, I don't know when and I don't know who.

Even if I did know who, would I even be able to stop them from dying? From what the seer said, it's the plan of the goddess that people will die. Would I be punished if I interrupted her plan? Would she take my life instead?

'We useless. I can't get in contact with girls...' Aeranian spoke, interrupting my questioning thoughts.

'Maybe they're healing, A.'

'Does mate blames us?'

'What? No-'

'Please no lie to me, scrawny human.'

I chuckled slightly at the fact that even in times of pain and seriousness, Aeranian couldn't help but insult me.

'I don't know, you oversized dog.'

Aeranian growled at me lowly and I smiled for the first time since Fayore dropped to the floor from magic.

"K, dinner." Mila announced, standing outside the bedroom door.

"I'm not hungry."

"Come on, bro. You haven't eaten anything since the doctors told us that she's in a coma and-"

"SHE IS NOT IN A COMA!" I growled, my eyes glowing gold in anger at her words.

Mila simply stared at me with a frown before walking towards me. She placed the plate of food next to the two other plates from earlier today.

"You really need to start eating. She wouldn't want you to starve yourself."

"How do you know what she wants?" I responded with an annoyed snarl.

Mila sighed, "Because I know her. Do you really think she would be okay with you not eating? I know in my soul she wouldn't want to wake up to a mate who looks to be trying to die from starvation."

Mila gave me a small, short hug before walking out the room. I looked at the plate of mashed potatoes, a gigantic piece of medium rare steak and the small side bowl of corn. I ripped off a piece of the steak and put it in my mouth, tasting a bit of blood.

I immediately spit out the food, coughing as the image of Fayore dropping to the floor with her eyes rolling back popped into my head.

"Moon Goddess...please help her."

× × × × × × × × × × ×
How depressing.

Merry Early Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza, etc... people!

See ya. ❤️