Twenty

A satisfied smile sneaked across Victoria's face as she stared at her plate of food. She pushed the piece of fish with her fork and thought about Justin. Seated across from her at the table, Jonathan and Roderick talked about something mundane, which was why she didn't care to listen closely. However, she didn't like the disapproving glares Bethany threw her way.

Victoria sipped her red wine. Perhaps Bethany sensed her reluctance toward Jonathan. But she couldn't help the way she felt about Justin. He occupied her thoughts more than Jonathan, and without realizing how it happened, Justin had crept into her heart. In her lifetime she'd not kissed many men, but with Justin, she felt so alive. Accepted. Why did she feel closer to him when she knew Jonathan better?

Setting her glass down, she glanced around the table. She really didn't know anyone. Not even Justin. But she trusted him more than the others. Her heart told her to. Her father would have wanted her to.

Bethany placed her fork beside her dish and cleared her throat. "Victoria, dear. Roderick and I have decided to have a masked ball to celebrate Jonathan's birthday. I do hope you'll help me plan it."

Victoria blinked as a bit of food stuck in her throat. She coughed and managed a smile. "I'd be delighted to help make the arrangements. When will it be and how many guests will be attending?"

"We will have it Friday after next."

Just as she lifted the glass to her mouth, she stalled. "Friday after next? That's All Hallow's Eve."

"Yes, it is. Jonathan's birthday is on that day." Bethany gave her a big smile. "As for the guest list, I hope you'll help me with that. I fear I don't know as many people in town as you."

Shrugging, Victoria wiped her mouth with her linen napkin. "I shall certainly help any way I can." She looked at Jonathan whose wide eyes told her this was a surprise to him, too. "Jonathan? I didn't know it was your birthday. How old will you be?"

"Twenty-six."

"A perfect age." She glanced back at Bethany who hadn't taken her glare off Victoria. "May I ask why you wish to have a masked ball?"

Bethany let out a low chuckle. "Since Jonathan was a young lad, he has always had a masked ball to celebrate his birthday."

As Victoria took a bite of her food, she wondered why this family disturbed her so. Now she knew. They were dark and mysterious, just like All Hallow's Eve. The family was also dangerous, as Justin had mentioned. The masked ball theme only added to her suspicions. The quicker she could escape this ghoulish nightmare, the better.

Not only did she have to worry about finding Amelia, but now Justin and his situation troubled her thoughts. He couldn't stay, either. Not with these evil people living here. There was no other way. She must convince Justin to leave with her.

"Let's start making the plans immediately," Bethany said. "Tomorrow I'll have Horace send out the invitations."

"Splendid idea." Victoria gave the lady of the house her best smile.

Bethany pushed away from the table and stood. "Gentlemen, if you will excuse us, Victoria and I will be in the parlor."

As Victoria followed the older woman, she didn't like the eeriness overtaking her. Something was wrong. Dreadfully wrong. The only way she would know for certain was to go along with Bethany to see what lay ahead.

The thought terrified her.

They sat in the parlor, writing down names and addresses, and planning what menu to serve. Mrs. White hung back on the fringes of the room. Victoria didn't pay much attention to her at first, but after a half hour, she realized the housekeeper was eavesdropping.