Seventeen

Angrily, Justin spun around and grasped her arms in a tight hold. How he wished he'd grow the beast's canine teeth now. He'd love to sink them into her neck and rip out her throat. But killing her would make his curse a life sentence.

"I don't know the location of the map. Why can't you understand that?" he seethed.

"Oh, I think you know. You were with Mr. Fawson before he died, and he had the map. I believe he gave it to you."

He groaned. "He didn't."

"When you finally tire of turning into a wolf, you'll come begging me to remove your curse. I'm quite certain you'll do anything to please me then."

"Think again." He shoved her away and stormed past her into the other room. He knelt by the hearth and threw more logs onto the dying cinders.

"If you want Miss Fawson to live, you'll remove her from your thoughts."

Her voice came at him like shards of glass, the message just as painful.

"Do you remember what happened to the other women?" she continued.

He squeezed his eyes closed and gnashed his teeth. "No. I remember nothing. You know that."

She bent over him, running her hands down his chest through the opening of his robe. Her hand stopped over his heart. "Deep inside your heart you know what happened. I need not tell you."

His chest ached from her words. "Please leave."

She nuzzled her face against his ear and kissed his lobe. Bile rose in his throat, nearly choking him. How many times did he have to tell her to leave him alone? But she never would.

"I'll go, but I'll be back," she whispered. "You want me. You're just too stubborn to admit it."

He didn't turn to watch. He didn't have to know when she left, because her disgusting scent disappeared with her.

Sighing, he pushed his palms against his closed eyes, hoping to relieve the throb growing deeper by the second. There was only one way to keep that witch from coming to see him. He had to convince Victoria to leave. If the witch knew how deep his attraction for Victoria went, he'd be cursed for sure. The witch wouldn't leave his side, not if she knew there was competition.

If the beast didn't kill Victoria, the witch might do it instead.

Wearily, he stumbled to his bed. Shifting always drained him. He removed his robe before climbing in between the sheets. Exhaustion filled his head, but with it came the beautiful vision of the woman he'd enjoyed kissing yesterday.

When he watched her kissing Jonathan, Justin could tell she didn't enjoy it. Her body was too stiff. Her lips too tight.

He grinned. But she had enjoyed the kiss they had shared. He could tell she had enjoyed it as much as he had.

As his eyelids grew heavy and his breathing slowed, his body felt so weightless it was as if he floated on air. He closed his eyes and let his thoughts take command.

In his mind, he left his chambers and made his way through the secret tunnels to Victoria's room. Thoughts of taking her in his arms and kissing her endlessly possessed him. He didn't stop himself from entering into his wonderful dream.

* * * *

Victoria held her parasol to block the sun as she rode beside Jonathan in the open two-seat buggy. Francine sat in the back reading a novel and keeping to herself. They'd driven past the small village just on the other side of the Maitland estate borders, and the people waved and called out greetings. Nodding her greeting, Victoria didn't dare say anything. She didn't know these people, but they seemed very friendly.