Four

Victoria's thudding heart threatened to snap the ties binding her corset as she stepped into the parlor to meet Jonathan Maitland. She had to make a good impression. She dared not give him reason to turn her away from the manor before she had a chance to ask questions.

Pressing her hand to her ribs, she took a deep breath, attempting to slow her heart's wild rhythm. Jonathan stood by the hearth with his shoulder against the smooth gray stones and one ankle crossed over the other. His waistcoat fit snug across the arms, and his white shirt and blue cravat emphasized the light tone color to his face. His muscular frame surprised her when earlier she'd wondered if he was obese. He lifted his gaze from the slow-burning fire and looked her way.

Handsome.

Devilishly so.

Sandy brown hair waved back from his forehead, and when he grinned, his blue eyes sparkled. He pulled away from the hearth and straightened, his smile stretching wider the longer his gaze swept over her.

Physically, there appeared to be nothing wrong with him. A man of his quality could easily find a wife. So why was his sister-in-law matchmaking? Surely, Victoria wasn't the first young woman to be paraded before him. When she left, another would certainly arrive to take her place.

Bethany Maitland sat in the same chair she'd occupied earlier, but Roderick was absent. "Miss Fawson, may I introduce my husband's younger brother, Jonathan Maitland? Jonathan darling, this is the young woman I told you about the other day."

Jonathan strolled closer. "What a pleasure it is to finally meet you, Miss Fawson."

Victoria smiled, enjoying his British accent. "I appreciate your kind invitation to visit the manor."

Bethany flicked a limp wrist at her brother-in-law. "Jonathan, darling, when I met Miss Fawson in town, I knew she'd be perfect for you."

Victoria's throat dried, so she swallowed. "Thank you. Please, Mrs. Maitland, just call me Victoria. And I thank you for thinking I'm perfect, but I must let you know I'm far from perfection."

"I happen to agree with my sister-in-law." Jonathan offered Victoria his elbow. She laid her hand on his gray coat sleeve and he led her to the sofa then sat beside her.

Up this close, she realized how his blue eyes danced with excitement. Such a flirt. He was going to be a hard man to resist.

"Forgive me for being blunt, Miss Fawson," Jonathan said, "but I've heard you're an adventurous woman. Is this so?"

She grinned and glanced at Bethany, knowing the other woman had been the one to tell him. Then again, everyone in Devonshire must have heard about Victoria's life. The way she lived wasn't a secret, and it didn't matter who knew. She wasn't ashamed of the headstrong woman she'd become.

Meeting Jonathan's gaze, she nodded. "I enjoy experiencing the fullness of life."

Both Jonathan and Bethany laughed. Bethany lifted her teacup, took a sip then lowered the delicate china to the matching saucer. "Ah, to be young again."

Victoria stifled a laugh. Most women her age were married and had children by now. She wouldn't consider herself young. Not really. In a couple of years, she'd be an old maid by society's standards.

"I wouldn't say I was young, Mrs. Maitland." Victoria shrugged. "However, I don't think I'll ever allow life's problems to discourage me. I always search for those things uplifting to my soul. After all, that's the only way one can stay youthful in their heart."

Bethany nodded. "Well said."

Jonathan tapped Victoria's arm. "Please tell me everything about yourself. I find your buoyant personality extremely refreshing."