Twenty-Eight

Victoria glanced around the room. All eyes were on her. She couldn't possibly laugh in front of them and let them know how absurd this letter was. Instead, she must make them think she believed this statement.

With her shoulders lifted and chin raised, she took a deep breath for courage, hoping to put on a splendid performance. She clasped her hands against her middle. "Apparently, I was wrong. I knew Francine was afraid of her own shadow, but I never thought she would leave by herself."

Bethany's shoulders sank as a rush of air flew from her mouth. The older woman patted Victoria's hands.

"I'm dreadfully sorry, my dear. Rest assured we'll take care of you. In fact, I shall assign Mrs. White to be your maid during the remainder of your stay."

Hesitantly, Victoria looked at Mrs. White. Kind, sympathetic, motherly eyes stared at her as she offered a smile. But not one person could be trusted. Someone at Maitland Manor had kidnapped Francine, and Victoria would find the culprit.

"Thank you, Mrs. Maitland," Victoria whispered. "I appreciate the generous offer, but I really don't need a maid. I can dress and undress myself without any help."

From across the table, Roderick chuckled beneath his hand. Oh, how she'd love to deflate his over-confident attitude and slap his face.

Bethany shook her head. "Regardless, Victoria, you're my guest and so you will receive the best treatment. Mrs. White will be your maid."

Victoria moved back to her chair, gnashing her teeth. How could she sneak away to see Justin with Mrs. White constantly around? Somehow, she needed to dismiss the older woman without drawing attention to herself.

During the rest of the meal, Victoria had to put up with Bethany's constant, mindless chatter and Roderick's leery grins and ogling eyes. She prayed Jonathan would come into the room and stop this nonsense. As he did every morning, he was probably out riding and she wouldn't see him until nearly noon.

When she'd finished the last bite, she quickly excused herself, telling everyone she needed some time alone. She hurried down the corridor to the drawing room where the paintings were hung that she had admired so. A few of them were missing. Biting back a grin, she concluded that Justin had taken them. Clever man. Hopefully, the rest of the household wasn't as aware as she was.

She glanced behind her to the door and listened. From what she could tell, it appeared she had not been followed. As she cautiously walked to the corner of the room near the large hanging drapes, she held her breath. There should be a secret door around here somewhere. And where was Justin's magical looking glass? There didn't seem to be any mirrors in this room.

"Can you see me? Hear me?" she whispered with a smile. "I miss you."

Although she didn't expect an answer, heat crept up her cheeks from her admission. Hard to believe she'd fallen in love with Justin so quickly.

Slowly, she walked to the wall, studying each painting, each crevasse to see if she could locate his hole. "I want to be near you again. You are all I can think about," she continued in a low voice.

"Who are you talking to, Victoria?"

She jumped and twirled around, placing her hand over her wildly beating chest. "Oh, Jonathan. It's just you. You gave me a fright."

Still in his riding clothes, he stepped into the parlor and grinned. Quite handsome wearing a deep brown coat, trousers, and black knee boots, he'd make any maid's heart flutter. He did resemble Justin quite a bit. But why did he have to be insane like the rest of his family? Poor man would never have a decent relationship as long as he lived under the same roof as his brother and sister-in-law.