Forty-Two

Chuckling, the housekeeper folded her arms. "What do you think?"

Victoria squared her shoulders. "I think you lied to him all this time. I do not believe Justin killed anyone—especially innocent women."

"You are correct, Miss Fawson."

Victoria met Justin's wide-eyed stare. Happiness expanded in her chest, and a joyful expression splashed across his face as well.

"Then who killed Sarah?" Jonathan asked in a quivering voice.

Mrs. White shrugged. "Bethany did, my dear son. She caught the maid having an affair with Roderick. In fact, the few women who have died have been from Bethany's hand, not Justin's. Bethany made it look like the wolf had killed. Unfortunately, Bethany is not alive to kill one more woman." She stepped closer to Victoria and yanked her away from Jonathan. "I'm sorry my sweet son, but Victoria is not the woman you are supposed to marry. She knows too much. Not only that, but your brother is in love with her, and she returns his love." The housekeeper shook her head. "I cannot have that. The woman you marry must have a simple mind—like yours—and love you completely."

Tears formed in Jonathan's eyes as he looked upon his brother. "You...love her?"

Frowning, Justin nodded. "I didn't want to, but I fell in love with her quickly. How could I not? She was the first person to see inside of me and love me regardless of my scars."

Mrs. White stared at Jonathan as if she delved into his eyes with her gaze. "Now son, return to the manor," she said slowly. "I do not want you to witness what I'm going to do next."

As if in a daze, Jonathan nodded, turned, and walked out of the cave. Victoria choked on a sob. Between her and Justin, they were going to have to stop the witch—and force her to end the curse. But the chances of that were looking slimmer by the second.

Once Jonathan was out of sight, Mrs. White tightened her grip on Victoria's arms. "Now, Miss Fawson. I have little need of you now."

"Harm her, and you'll die!" Justin shouted.

"I think not." The housekeeper raised her hand toward Justin, and he flew back against the wall.

This time when he struggled to stand, he couldn't. It was if an invisible force kept him from standing. Victoria cried out and tried to lunge toward him, but Mrs. White was stronger, and Victoria couldn't move out of the woman's grasp.

"I feel bad that you could not love Jonathan. He would have made you very happy, I'm sure." She wrapped her fingers around Victoria's neck, just as Bethany had done, but the mother's strength was more powerful.

Tears coursed down Victoria's face. Although she struggled to release the woman's hold, Victoria knew her life was short-lived. The end would soon be here.

Slowly, her energy sapped out of her body, and she became a limp rag in the housekeeper's hands. Victoria's lungs burned as little breath escaped. Justin, never forget I loved you!

A pistol exploding echoed through the cave, and Mrs. White's body fell to the ground. Freed, Victoria dropped beside her, gasping for breath. Blood poured out from a bullet hole in the housekeeper's head, her sightless eyes stared up into the cavern.

"Victoria."

Justin's weak voice brought her around. He fell beside her and gathered her in his tight embrace.

"Justin, why did you kill her?" She cried into his chest. "Now your curse will be with you forever."

"Oh, Victoria, my love." He kissed her forehead. "It doesn't matter. I would rather be a wolf for the rest of my life than to live without you. If Mrs. White would have killed you, I would have been dead inside as well."

He kissed her wet eyes, then down to her lips. She hugged him close and kissed him, grateful they were both alive. Justin was right. It didn't matter if he shifted into a wolf at night, he would be with her always from here on out. And knowing he didn't kill anyone, certainly made her feel more at ease.

Wearily, he stood and pulled her with him. "Let's leave now. Poor Jonathan needs to know what's going on—if he even remembers being here at all. And," he bent and kissed her lips again, "I want to hold you and be with you tonight. You will never leave my arms again."

* * * *

It took a while before Justin and Victoria could be alone together. Once they reached the manor, all the women from the island were waiting for them, with the police. Victoria hung on to Justin's arm as he explained to them what happened. It surprised her that the man of the law believed Justin at all.

Jonathan stood back and watched with a forlorn expression. Victoria wished she could say something to console him, but she feared her words would not do any good. She hoped someday he'd forgive her for loving Justin instead.

After everyone finally left—including the guests who had come to the mask ball—they found Roderick passed out on the couch. Justin shrugged and told her they'd leave him there.

Francine was in Victoria's room, eager to get back to her duties as maid. Victoria hugged her friend again and told her to return to her own room to rest. Francine did so without hesitation.

Now Victoria sat in front of the fireplace after a refreshing bath. She combed her wet hair, allowing the heat from the fire to dry her wavy strands. Relieved that this ordeal was over, she still worried about Justin's future. She had no doubt they would marry and he would take over his role as Master of the Manor, but in the back of her mind, she feared if the townsfolk knew Justin could still shift, they might want to kill him.

Footsteps in the corner of the room made her jump. She turned just in time to see Justin step through the hidden wall. She smiled and held out her hands. He grasped them and raised her to her feet before wrapping his arms around her.

"You know," she began, "you don't have to sneak around any longer."

He chuckled. "It's a habit. Forgive me."

"Of course, my love." She kissed his mouth briefly then broke away. "Shall we adjourn to the sofa? I fear my limbs are still very weak from tonight's torture."

"As are mine."

He led her to the sofa where they both collapsed in each other's arms. Wearily, she laid her head on his chest and inhaled his masculine scent. He, too, had bathed and smelled cleaner than before.

"This feels so nice." She sighed dreamily.

"Indeed, it does." He kissed the top of her head. "Do you know what else feels different?"

She lifted her face and looked into his eyes. "What?"

"This house."

"It does?"

"Can you not feel it? It's as if the evil has disappeared and no dark clouds of gloom are hanging over the place. I'm certain tomorrow morning we shall walk outside and it will look different."

"I pray you're right. I'm too exhausted to notice anything different now."

He frowned. "Then I should leave and let you rest."

"No." She snuggled closer. "Please don't go. I want you to stay with me tonight. We can sleep like this on the sofa, wrapped in each other's arms with the fireplace to keep us warm."

"Hmm..." He pulled her closer. "I do like the way you think, my love."

She closed her eyes. "In the morning we can talk about when we're going to get married."

His chest shook with silent laughter. "If I had my way, we'd get married tomorrow."

"Well, if you can talk someone into performing the ceremony, I'll be quite content with becoming your wife tomorrow."

"Excellent." He kissed her head. "But now, let's rest. I don't think I can keep my eyes open any longer."

Victoria was already drifting off to sleep, dreaming of her wedding day and hoping Justin wouldn't shift on their wedding night.