Thirty-Three

Victoria believed Bethany was the witch.

Pacing the floor in her room, Victoria's thoughts spun in her head like a tornado. Justin kept her in his bedroom because he wasn't afraid of the witch interrupting them. Which meant the witch had to be Bethany, since she'd gone to town to run errands. Then again...

Victoria scratched her head. What if the witch was Anne? According to the Maitlands—and pretty much everyone who lived here—when the white wolf attacked, he killed innocent women. Anne was not innocent in the least. Come to think of it, neither was Sarah, since she'd been carrying on a tryst with Roderick, too.

Victoria paused in thought. Yet why was Anne attacked if she was the witch. Unless—a diversion, perhaps?

Either way, Victoria couldn't mark Anne off her list just yet. What about Mrs. White? But why would the witch be the housekeeper? Out of everyone in this house, Mrs. White looked out for the Maitlands and cared for them. The older woman even treated poor Jonathan with love and respect.

Victoria would bet money the witch was Bethany. She was a selfish, mean woman with a cold heart, just like the witch. And, she used to love Justin. He'd mentioned once that all the witch wanted at first was his love, but now she wanted the treasure map. Bethany believed very strongly there was treasure on the island.

Now the question was, if Bethany and the witch are one of the same, how could Victoria kill her? If the witch has powers, then what could stop her? Also, the witch would have to lift the curse before Victoria killed her.

Grumbling, she walked to the vanity and picked up a brush. As she pulled it through her hair, the bristles punished her scalp. Worry expanded in her chest, and she knew the only way the witch would lift the curse was for Justin to give her the treasure map.

Victoria sank in her chair and stared at her reflection in the mirror. Although she may not have the answers, at least she suspected who the witch was. In order for Victoria and Justin to spend some private time together, Victoria may just have to place some sleeping powder in Bethany's tea.

A chuckle bubbled up from her throat as she finished her toilette. That wasn't a bad idea at all. Roderick may even want his wife asleep all the time which would give him more room to dally with other women.

Victoria hurried downstairs toward the dining room. Had everyone returned home since this morning? Or would she eat dinner by herself. As she passed the drawing room, Bethany's voice rang through the stillness like shards of glass piercing Victoria's skin. She turned and walked slowly into the room, trying to smile like she didn't loathe the woman.

"Good evening, Mrs. Maitland. I wondered if you had returned from your errands earlier today."

"I had a splendid time in town today." Bethany grinned. "I purchased some new gowns and some costumes for Jonathan's party."

Victoria stepped closer. "While you were in town, did you drop in to the hospital to see how Anne is faring?"

Bethany flipped her hand in the air. "I didn't have time for that. Besides, Roderick and Mrs. White were with her."

"Are they back? Has there been any news of Anne's recovery?"

"None yet." Bethany moved from her chair and strolled to the table in the far corner of the room. "I did buy you a gown, though."

"A—a—gown?" Victoria blinked, not quite understanding.

"Yes. You'll need a gown for the mask ball, also." She picked up a box and handed it to Victoria. "Last night, Jonathan and I were talking, and he asked if I would buy you this gown." Her grin widened. "I must say, he's quite smitten with you."