Twenty-Seven

Victoria couldn't tear her gaze away from Roderick and Anne who were arguing.

"You are nothing but a scheming wench," Roderick yelled.

Victoria gasped and met Justin's surprised eyes.

"Scheming? How did you come to that conclusion?" Anne sobbed in between words.

"I know you had your eye on my brother a year ago, and now you want to weasel your way into my life. Well, I'm telling you right now, it's not going to happen."

"I don't' know what you're talking about. I love you."

Silence lasted a few minutes as Roderick paced the floor, raking his fingers through his hair. Anne remained sitting on the bed.

"What do you expect me to do? I'm married," Roderick hissed as he faced Anne.

"But I'm carrying your child."

Justin's groan overrode Victoria's gasp. He closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the wall. "My brother is a fool."

Roderick threw his hands in the air. "Do you really expect me to believe that when I have seen you with the stable hands?"

Anne's wails created quite a ruckus and Victoria cringed. She didn't know whether to feel sorry for her or for Roderick.

"I cannot think with your crying," Roderick exclaimed. "I'll be in my study, so please don't disrupt me."

The slamming of the door confirmed his temper.

Justin took a deep breath and held Victoria's hands. "I'm sorry you had to hear that."

"I don't mind. What do you think he'll do about Anne?"

"I'm more worried about what Anne will do if Roderick chooses to ignore her."

She blinked, confused. "Why do you say that?"

He shook his head, turned and led her down another passageway. "Let's not worry about my brother. Let's concentrate on finding that map."

"Do you think my father left it in the paintings?"

"Either that or his journal."

She gasped. "His journal? You have that, too? I found one after he was killed. I'd assumed it was his only."

Justin shrugged. "Right before I was cursed by the witch, your father's journal arrived by messenger. I think your father might have sent it before he was killed. I hadn't found time to read the journal, since I was in the process of trying to get my household under my control once again. Once I was cursed, I'd forgotten about what your father had sent me." He scratched his chin. "Then, earlier today, after you left, I started thinking about it. Now I believe he might have known he was in trouble. Why else would he send it to me?"

"It's still in your room?"

"Yes, but I will look for it later, tonight after everyone has gone to sleep. Obviously, my room is still being used during the day." He shook his head. "Is nothing sacred anymore?"

"Justin, what do you want me to do?"

He stopped, pulled her into his arms and kissed her forehead. "Whatever you do, do not let anyone in my household know that you're studying the paintings. I don't want anyone to become suspicious of your actions."

"All right. I think I can do that."

"And," he pulled her closer and placed a gentle kiss on her lips, "don't kiss Jonathan the way you kiss me."