Twenty-Four

Justin hurried to the bedroom door and stepped out. Victoria jumped, her hand flying to her mouth. Her gaze swept over him from the top of his head to his toes, and a blush reddened her cheeks.

Praise the Almighty! She was alive.

Happiness burst inside of him. Unable to stop himself, he scooped her up in his arms and crushed her body against his, burying his face in her neck. Emotion choked his throat.

"Oh, my dear, sweet, Victoria," he muttered against her skin before leaving light kisses along her neck. Her body had been stiff for a mere moment, but the more he kissed, the faster she relaxed.

His mouth moved over her chin and met with her seeking lips. Delicate fingers threaded through his hair as she held his head to her while she kissed him. He thought he'd lost her. Now he must show her how much she meant to him. True, he'd shift, but not until tonight.

"Justin, please," she muttered, breaking the incredible kiss.

"Victoria," he muttered, still kissing her face. "Oh, my dear Victoria. I'm so thankful you're alive."

Her body stilled and she braced her palms against his shoulders to move him away. Soft eyes filled with confusion stared back at him. Her lips were swollen from his ardent kisses. He swept his fingers over her cheek, her chin, her throat, wanting to feel more.

Her breathing was as ragged as his. He smiled and kissed her again, but she broke away.

"No, Justin."

Bewilderment clouded his mind. He studied her eyes, trying to see why she'd acted this way. Her gaze moved over his face and rested on the half he'd always kept hidden from her.

I'm not wearing my scarf! In his excitement to see her, he hadn't covered the scars on his face.

Justin let her go as if she were a hot coal, and pulled away. His heart twisted, pain like a knife stabbing into his flesh over and over, tightened his chest. Keeping his gaze on her, he searched for signs of disgust, waited for her to turn and run away, screaming in horror.

She didn't. Instead, she looked at him in interest. Her hand moved as if to touch him, but he jerked back.

"Please don't," he whispered.

Nodding, she withdrew her hand and sat on the edge of his bed. "I'm sorry to have disturbed your sleep, but—" she licked her lips, "I had to find you. Talk to you. I must know why...why..." Victoria drew in a deep breath and met his gaze fully again. "Where were you last night? Why didn't you come to my rescue when I needed you?"

Fear crawled up his spine and churned in his stomach. "What are you talking about, Victoria? What happened?"

Tears brimmed in her eyes and clung to her long eyelashes. "Francine, my maid...she's gone. From out my bedroom window, I saw someone take her. When I ran into the thicket of trees to search for her, I became lost." She wiped a hand across her eyes, but when she removed it, more tears welled. "I couldn't find her." Her voice choked. "Then the white wolf came."

Justin sucked in a heavy breath and held it, his heart hammering against his ribs.

"I cannot explain it, but the wolf didn't try to attack me. He did at first, but when I spoke, he—he—"

He knelt on the floor before her and grasped her clutched hands. "He what?"

"It was like he calmed down. He showed me the way back to the manor."

Without being able to stop it, his jaw hung and his eyes widened. "He helped you?"

"Yes. He even allowed me to pet him." She wiped her eyes again. "Oh, Justin. I was so scared, but then I realized he wasn't dangerous like everyone said." She sniffled. "When I stumbled into the house, Roderick took me to the parlor and gave me a drink stronger than I've tasted before."