Thirty-Four

Justin didn't shift last night.

Victoria grinned as she scooped up a fork of eggs from her plate during breakfast. It was a good thing she was alone at the table this morning, because she couldn't stop smiling. She'd listened all last night for Justin's howl, and she never heard it. They'd been together, kissed and confessed their feelings, so he technically, he should have shifted.

Then again, Justin said he loved her. He only shifted when he desired a woman. In her mind, they were two different emotions.

Her heart filled to capacity. She'd never met anyone like Justin before. He thought of others first, and he showed his feelings for her continually. He would make a fine husband, too.

Victoria finished her meal then pushed away from the table. Just as she stood, Mrs. White walked in. The housekeeper smiled at Victoria.

"You look happy this morning," Mrs. White remarked. "Did you have a good rest?"

"Yes, I did." Victoria neared the housekeeper and touched her arm. "But how are you? I haven't heard anything about Anne and I'm worried."

"Anne is still unconscious. She's alive, and that's good. The wolf nearly ripped out her throat, so the doctor fears Anne may not be able to talk when she recovers."

Dread sank in Victoria's chest. There had to be a way to find out from the maid if the wolf attacked her, or if it were the rabid dogs. "I'm relieved she's alive."

"As am I. She's a good friend."

Victoria clasped Mrs. White's hand and squeezed. "You are the good friend, staying by her side the way you did."

A tear formed in the housekeeper's eye, and she blinked fast which removed it. "If you'll excuse me, I must be on my way. There's still much to do before Jonathan's birthday ball. The days are just flying by, and I fear I won't get everything accomplished."

Victoria stepped into the large hallway and stopped. What could she do today? Without Francine around, the days became more boring. Since Justin slept during this time, there wasn't much to do.

Horace walked passed her, and she stopped him. "Have you seen Master Jonathan? Is he still out riding this morning?"

He nodded. "I believe so, Miss Fawson. I haven't seen him since last evening, but he usually rides in the morning."

"Thank you." She hurried up the stairs to her bedroom and changed into a riding habit. It was time she kept herself from going mad from boredom. Perhaps she could convince Jonathan they would make perfect friends—and not the marrying kind.

Forty-five minutes later, she strolled outside toward the stables. The sun stood high in the sky without any threat of clouds. Not even a cool breeze disturbed her. She reached the stable and requested a mare saddled. As she waited, she gazed across the acreage of fields, then off to the side where the forest began. Shivers ran over her. Those tall trees only brought back unpleasant memories. Her heart clenched for her maid. Hopefully, Francine was indeed alive, as Justin had mentioned. Soon they'd solve the mystery of her disappearance and her maid would come back safely.

Getting away from this dreaded nightmare was all she could think about, but she wouldn't leave without Justin.

The stable boy brought the mare to her and helped her mount. She kept the animal in a trot as she studied the landscape. During the night, the place seemed most dreary, but now with the bright sun warming her face, everything appeared welcoming and cheerful.

She scanned the area for Jonathan, wondering where he rode every day. And why it took him so long. The estate was large, but surely it didn't take that long.