Twenty-One

This time there was no mistaking the scene below. Victoria's maid struggled with the person grasping her wrist as they tugged her toward the forest. Francine glanced back at the manor and screamed Victoria's name again.

Renewed strength swept over her as she grabbed her cloak and rushed out of the room. Her heartbeat hammered as she ran out of the house. The cold air pricked her skin. She ran toward the trees where she'd seen her maid last.

"Francine! Where are you?"

No answer. Her heart jumped to her throat. Please Francine, answer me. I can't be imagining it this time.

Victoria's chest tightened and she ran faster. Fog grew dense in spots, making it almost impossible to see in front of her, but she surged forward, calling for her maid.

Deep into the woods she ran, not knowing where she was going. With every step she prayed she'd hear her maid's voice. Tree branches tore at her cloak and her hair, making more scratches on her face and arms. She didn't care.

After what seemed like hours, she stopped. She heaved quick breaths as her parched throat ached. Tears stung her eyes. This can't be happening. She hadn't dreamed it this time. She had seen her maid.

Victoria glanced around and listened to the night's sounds. Too quiet. Especially for the woods.

"Francine?" she called out again, her voice rasping.

When no answer came, she sobbed and sank to her knees onto the cold ground. Tears streamed down her cheeks and fell into the clasped hands she held against her mouth. She was not insane. She had heard and seen her maid.

In the distance, came the cry of a wolf. The white wolf?

She shook her head. No matter how everyone around her tried to convince her, she didn't believe in such legends.

Standing, her limbs quaked from both fear and fatigue. Her throat tightened, making it hard to swallow. Step by step, she tried to retrace her path back to the manor. If only she could remember which way she'd come.

The wolf howled again. Closer, this time.

Victoria clasped her hands to the material around her neck, bringing the garment closer together to ward off the coldness seeping in through her skin. With every step, she searched through the fog and strained to hear what was going on around her.

Close by, bushes rustled and twigs snapped.

She glanced at the trees, wondering if she should climb one to get out of the path of the wild animal. Victoria gulped. Another twig snapped, and the growl of an animal rumbled through the air. She froze in fear, afraid to even breathe.

Through the fog, yellow eyes floated toward her, and within seconds the outline of the wolf appeared. He bared his teeth as he stared at her, stalking closer.

Victoria whimpered. "Please, don't."

The animal stopped and tilted his head, no longer threatening her with his nasty snarl. His eyes blinked. Against her ribs her heartbeat thundered, shaking her body even worse. Would he pounce on her and kill her immediately?

This was definitely the calm before the storm.

Even through her fear, she realized she'd never seen a more beautiful animal. Pure white fur covered the animal. Perfect ears standing straight on top of his head. Bushy tail unmoving as the animal stared at her.

Several minutes passed. She dared not move for fear of provoking the animal any further. Yet the beast looked at her curiously, as if even he didn't quite know what to do.