Nineteen

He cleared his suddenly dry throat. "As you have surmised, this house is full of secrets. Dangerous secrets that might take your life."

"Justin, your words confuse me. Please tell me why."

His heart clenched. He wanted to tell her so badly, but couldn't. Wouldn't. "Don't ask that of me, sweet Victoria. I'd fear for your safety if you were to know the truth."

"But Justin, I know you will protect me."

"I cannot always protect you. Have you forgotten I'm in hiding?"

She placed her hands on his chest, and heat spread through his body. His breathing grew ragged, and he didn't know how much more of this he could take. Yet that didn't move him away. Indeed, he was a fool for taking this kind of sweet punishment.

"If you're in hiding, how do you know where I am at all times?" Without taking her eyes off him, she motioned her head toward the secret door. "Through the tunnels?"

"Yes."

"Then you know when I'm in danger."

He shook his head. "You don't understand."

She stepped closer, sliding her hands up his arms. He held in a groan.

"Then help me understand," she said.

He cupped her face. Closing her eyes, she tilted her head back, letting his hands glide down her neck. Tonight he'd pay dearly for feeling these emotions. For some reason, he couldn't tear himself away. Not yet.

"Justin," she whispered. "Your touch calms and reassures me."

He bracketed her face and ran his thumb along her bottom lip. Beautiful eyes opened and her gaze held his.

"I wish I could tell you all would be made right, Victoria. But I can't. I don't dare give you false hope."

She took his hand and nuzzled her lips against his palm. "Please, let me stay. I need you near me."

With a deep sigh of surrender, he pulled her face closer and captured her lips. She clung to his shirt, pressing herself against him as her mouth answered back. He should refrain; shouldn't even get involved, but he couldn't stop himself. He couldn't think about the beast he would certainly turn into tonight.

Circling her in his embrace, he pulled her against him. She gasped and wrapped her arms around his neck. As his hands moved over her back, she released a heavy sigh. She was wonderful, and so passionate. Breathing deeply, he extended the kiss, tilting his head with hers in wild abandonment.

He wanted her, but he knew he couldn't have her. Not the way he wanted—body and soul. It'd been so long since he was intimate with a woman. Yet the burning in him now was far different from all those years ago. It went deeper than just lust. He wanted to make Victoria his—and only his.

That, he couldn't do. It would only hurt them both in the end. He couldn't do that to her, or to himself.

Kissing her made him feel human. Like a man again. He didn't want to stop.

The more he kissed Victoria, the hotter the passion stirred inside of him until his whole body was on fire. He jerked away from her and stepped back. She swayed then lowered to the bed and sat on the edge. Wide, questioning eyes stared up at him.

He breathed deep and stroked her chin. "This—thing between us is happening too fast."

"I know," she whispered.

"I'm still amazed you'd want to kiss a beast like me in the first place, but—"

She jumped to her feet and scowled. "You're not a beast. I have never thought of you that way, and you well know it."

His heart ached and he wanted to take her back in his arms and show her what her tender words meant to him. "Yes, I do." He shook his head. "But I wanted to come and see you this afternoon to warn you."

Exhaling deeply, she folded her arms. "Not this again."

"Yes, this again."

"Will this ever stop?"

"Not until you are safely back home with your uncle."

Victoria shook her head and turned toward the window again. "What makes you think I'm any safer with my uncle?"

Justin's chest tightened. Could there be other secrets she hid from him? If only he could trust her with his, maybe she'd divulge hers.

In reality, his secret could kill her.

He swallowed hard. "Victoria, please try to understand. My family is insane. Every last one of them. They cannot be trusted, and you must leave as soon as possible before something terrible happens."

Justin took slow steps until he reached her. She hadn't turned to look at him, so he softly caressed her hair. "I don't know what I would do if something horrible happened to you. I might be able to prevent a few things from happening, but not all."

She turned her head and looked up into his eyes. "If I stay, will you hate me?"

His heart sank. "No. I'll never hate you."

Victoria straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin in defiance. "Justin, I'm sorry, but I can't leave. Not yet. Please understand."

Frustrated, he fisted his hands by his side. Anger boiled through him and all he wanted to do was shake some sense into her. But doing that would only make her more stubborn.

He nodded. "Although I don't understand, I'll try. At least I have warned you of the dangers that might befall you and your maid."

She placed her hand on his arm, and his temper simmered slightly. "Justin? When will I see you again?"

"I don't know."

"Tomorrow night? I'll come to your room."

A sigh escaped him and his heart melted. He took her back in his arms and kissed her forehead. "You're tempting fate by coming to my room, Victoria. Don't you know how hard it is to resist you?"

She tilted her head and looked up at him with a wide smile. "That's what I'd hoped you would say."

He turned and walked toward the hidden doorway, leading toward the tunnels. "And whatever you do, keep away from Roderick," he said over his shoulder.

She drew her brows together and cocked her head. "Why?"

"Trust me. He's not a good man at all." Justin turned and hurried through the passageway before he told her everything. As hard as it was not to bare his soul to her, he mustn't. She'd be kept safer if he said nothing.