Thirty-Two

Victoria clutched Justin's hand as he led her through the dark tunnels, only a candle lighting their way. With very little light, the walls seemed to close in on her. If not for Justin's presence, suffocation would have been overwhelming. Instead, excitement bubbled in her chest as she studied him, looking like a little boy who had found a treasure. She sincerely hoped he had, since the map might be what would lift his curse. She wanted to be with him every second of the day, and she couldn't wait for that day to arrive.

"What were you doing with Jonathan?" he asked.

"Addressing invitations to his masked birthday ball."

"Where was Bethany? Usually she watches him like an over-protective mother."

Victoria chuckled. She'd thought that, too, and now she knew why. "Bethany made some excuse to leave the manor to run errands not too long before you came to get me. Roderick and Mrs. White went into town a few hours ago."

"Ah, so I have you all to myself for a while?" He squeezed her hand.

She giggled. "So it seems. Tell me, what did you find? The anticipation is nearly killing me."

Looking at her, his grin widened. "You'll have to wait, my love. But I can tell you something now. This doesn't have anything to do with the surprise, but I know you'd want to hear this, nonetheless."

He stopped, faced her and took both her hands. "While listening in on Beth and Roddy earlier today, I learned something about your maid."

"Francine?"

"Beth has done something with her—taken her some place, but your maid is alive."

A gush of air released from her mouth and she hadn't realized she'd been holding her breath. "Why would they take her? What could they gain?"

"I wish I knew. My brother and sister-in-law enjoy playing with people's lives."

"But you don't know where they took Francine?"

"No. They didn't name a precise location, and I couldn't figure it out." He cupped her face. "But we will. Beth and Roddy have a reason for everything they do, and it's usually a greedy purpose."

"I've learned that about them."

Justin turned back toward the path and she took quick steps to keep up with him.

"Beth has always wanted more, no matter what her purpose," he said.

"Jonathan told me a little about her life. Apparently, she'd set her sights on you at first."

He glanced at her over his shoulder, disgust encompassing his face before he shook his head. "Don't remind me. That girl used to follow me when we were children. Every time I thought I'd gotten rid of her, she'd show up at the most unexpected moment."

She chuckled. "Well, if you were half as handsome then are you are now, it's no wonder she was love-struck."

He stopped short, causing her to bump into him. He turned and gathered her in his arms. "You think I'm handsome?"

Strange he would ask such a question. From what she'd gathered, he'd been quite a lady's man before the curse. Why would he doubt his appearance now?

"Yes, Justin." Smiling, she swept her fingers through his hair. "You literally make me sigh with pleasure every time I look at you."

He pulled her closer as his mouth opened over hers in a slow, meaningful kiss. She cupped his face and answered back, love blossoming in her chest with every second passing.