Thirty-Nine

Panicked, Justin followed the secret tunnels to every room, peering inside just in case Jonathan had taken Victoria into one against her will. When Justin reached the room he'd occupied before he'd been cursed, Jonathan sat on the edge of the bed, his arms wrapped around his middle as he rocked back and forth, mumbling. Nobody else was with his brother.

Curious, Justin moved toward the hidden wall to hear his brother better. The younger man's eyes were swollen and red, spiked with tears. Justin's heart twisted for his sibling, wishing he knew how to help his poor, misguided, and probably insane brother.

"Oh, please help me," Jonathan muttered. "Justin, I know you're a ghost, but I need your help. I cannot do this on my own."

Sadness left a lump in Justin's throat, but he remained still and continued to watch and listen.

"I've known for a while how mean Bethany has been to others, but," Jonathan sobbed and wiped his teary eyes, "why? I thought she loved me and wanted what was best for me."

Justin scowled. What had Bethany done this time?

Jonathan stared at the wall as if in a daze. Within seconds, his despondent countenance changed and his face flushed with anger. He jumped to his feet, fisting his hands by his side. "But this time...this time Bethany has gone too far. They took Victoria and they plan to kill her. I can't allow them to do that!"

An imprisoning shock squeezed the breath out of Justin and he stumbled against the wall. They took Victoria! The witch has her! He had to stop this, even if it meant making an appearance.

Justin pushed against the wall, moving it as he rushed inside the room. Jonathan's eyes widened when he saw his brother, and he jumped.

"J—J—Justin?"

Justin reached out to touch Jonathan, but he quickly retreated, his eyes growing wider by the second. "Jonathan, it's me. I'm not a ghost."

Jonathan shook his head. "You d—died in the f—fire."

"No, brother. There was no fire. Roderick and Bethany made up that story to keep me hidden in the East Wing."

Shaky fingers lifted to Jonathan's eyes as he finished swiping away the liquid. "That can't be true. They wouldn't do that."

Justin arched an eyebrow. "You know our brother and his deceiving wife as well as I. Can you stand there and tell me they didn't do this to me?"

Jonathan examined his brother from head to toe slowly, then his focus rested on Justin's scarred face. He narrowed his gaze and pointed. "What happened to your face?"

Justin wanted to scream with frustration, and impatience. "Jonathan, we have no time for me to explain where I've been for a year. I need to know what you were saying about Victoria. Did Bethany take her somewhere?"

Anger crossed his brother's features once more. "Yes. They took her to the island. I heard them talking when they didn't know I was there. They—they are going to kill Victoria after she shows them where the gold is buried."

"They who?"

"Bethany, and...Anne."

"Anne? But she's in the hospital barely alive and unable to speak."

Jonathan shook his head. "No. That's what they wanted everyone to believe, but it's not true."

Cursing, Justin grabbed his brother's arm. "I need to leave as quickly as possible. I have to save Victoria."

"I'll go with you." Jonathan took a deep breath and squared his shoulders.

Justin felt proud of how his brother wanted to help. "No, you need to stay here and take care of your guests. And keep a glass of spirits in Roddy's hand at all times so he doesn't stop me."