Thirty

Cursing, Justin pulled Victoria off the couch and pushed her into the adjoining room. Her mouth opened to speak, but he put his finger to her lips.

"Do not make a sound. The witch is here."

He quickly hurried out of the room, closing the door behind him. He ran back to the couch and sat before the witch entered.

She sashayed through the doorway before leaning against the wall. As always, her overpowering scented perfume made him gag.

"Do you ever knock?" he snapped.

Her throaty laugh hung in the air. "Oh, Justin darling. Why would I knock? I'm the only one who comes here."

"You can stop that at any time. I'd be most grateful."

"I'm quite certain you would." She moved away from the door and slunk toward him.

He held his breath, waiting for her to say something about his visitor, but as he studied her, he realized she didn't know. He said a silent prayer of thanks.

She sat on the edge of the armrest and ran her hand over his chest. "Have you grown weary of shifting, my dear? You know what to do if you want me to change you back."

Pushing her aside, he stood and moved away. He linked his hands behind his back and paced the floor between the witch and Victoria who remained behind the closed door.

"Since you know I'll never love you, I assume you've come to harp about the non-existent treasure map." He shook his head. "I grow weary, not of shifting into a wolf, but of your inability to accept what I tell you as the truth." He stopped in front of her and glared. "I do not, nor will I ever, have that cursed treasure map. There's no such thing. If there was, don't you think someone would have found it by now?"

"Oh, there's a treasure there, I assure you. It's been told in old wives tales for several centuries. Someone must have it, and I believe you're hiding it from me. Peter Fawson gave it to you, I know he did."

Anger poured through him, and his animal instincts took over. He wrapped his hands around her throat. Her eyes widened and she gasped, but she didn't say anything, nor did she try to peel his hands away.

"Do you know how I loathe you? Every day I want to kill you with my bare hands. I want to choke the life right out of you just to be free."

The glimpse of terror that had been on her face didn't stay long, and she grinned. "You won't kill me, because then you'll never turn back."

If he squeezed hard enough he could snap her neck. He was certain of it. But she was correct. The curse would die with her.

Releasing a frustrated growl, he yanked his hands away and stepped back. He drove his fingers through his hair as he paced the floor again, breathing deep and slow, trying to control his hatred. His foot knocked into the paintings he'd taken off the walls in the manor earlier, toppling two over, the wooden frames broke as they hit the floor. He hoped the witch didn't ask about them.

Nothing would please him more than to tell her what she wanted to know, even if he had to lie. Unfortunately, she'd eventually discover the untruth and be back, which was the last thing he wanted.

The only thing to do was work harder with Victoria to see if there really was a secret map. According to Peter Fawson's journal, the stranger at the end of the book believed there was. Now Justin needed to find it. Or die trying.

He glanced back at the witch, her gaze was still on him along with that ridiculous smirk he'd enjoy wiping off her face. "Would you please leave?"

She tsked. "Justin, you're out of sorts today. That's not like you." She walked toward him. "It makes me wonder if your attitude has anything to do with Miss Fawson?"