Forty-One

A tear fell from Victoria's eye as she shook her head. "Why, Bethany?" Victoria's voice broke.

Tears collected in Justin's eyes. He hated seeing the woman he loved more than life itself in this kind of turmoil.

"Why, what?" Beth asked.

"Why are you doing this? You are wealthy already. You are married to a Maitland, just as you have always wanted. So why go through all of this?"

"My mother always told me I was too dim-witted to make it through life and marry out of my class. We were always poor. My ancestors were poor. I decided many years ago I would not have this kind of life. I want to be the richest person in the world, and having all the gold and silver here in these caves will get me that." She flipped her hand. "And just because I'm married to a Maitland doesn't mean I'm happy."

"You still want Justin, don't you?" Victoria asked.

Justin held his breath, not looking forward to hearing Bethany's answer.

"Yes, I do." Bethany lifted her chin, stubbornly.

"Even if he doesn't want you?"

"He will want me. Once I get the treasure, another curse will be put upon him so he'll love only me."

Justin cringed as bile rose in his throat. He couldn't let that happen!

"But, Bethany," Victoria said, "don't you want a man who will love you for you on his own free will?"

Justin's sister-in-law scowled. "Oh course I do, you nit-wit, but powerful men have never wanted me. Believe me, I've tried to seduce them without my magic, but it doesn't work." She growled and grasped Victoria's arm again. "Enough of this! Show me the treasure!"

Victoria shook her head. "I truly do not know about the treasure. My father found nothing in his research. Bringing me here was a waste of your time."

"Forgive me if I don't believe you." She tightened her grip, making Victoria whimper. "Your father knew something, I just know it. I could see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice."

Justin straightened, more alert now. Apparently, so was Victoria. Her frightened expression turned to anger.

"What do you mean by that? You never met my father."

"Oh, yes I did—before I killed him."

Victoria suddenly turned into a woman possessed. She screamed and started hitting, clawing, and kicking at Bethany. Although Beth tried to fight it off, Victoria overpowered her. Justin pulled out his pistol, preparing for the moment he'd need it.

"How could you?" Victoria sobbed, plowing her fists into Bethany. "He did nothing to you! Nothing at all!"

A loud growl sprang from Beth's throat and she was able to push Victoria off her. Victoria landed on her back, and Beth straddled her, grasping Victoria's neck tightly.

"I will do whatever I want to get ahead in this life."

Victoria cried out as she tried to peel Beth's fingers away from her throat. Justin couldn't stand anymore. He rushed from his hiding spot, pointing the pistol at Bethany's head. "Release her, now!"

Bethany gasped and did as she was told. Using his foot, he pushed Bethany off Victoria. She scrambled to her feet and cuddled against his side. Protectively, he wrapped his arm around her, still keeping his steady aim on his sister-in-law.

"May God forgive me, because I can not have you hurting the woman I love."

Blood left Bethany's face as she stared wide-eyed at him. Slowly, she stood and faced him. Her gaze darted between him and Victoria, but then something caught her attention further behind them, and she offered a victorious smile.