Chapter Sixteen: Convincing Jake

Peter's POV

"Peter, can we talk a minute?" I whisper to ask August if he could give us a minute and walk away with Jake. "Why does he want to join the pack? It seems suspicious to me." 

I roll my eyes. "It's not suspicious. He has no one right now, and his pack is horrible to him. He found his mate but doesn't want him." 

"Yeah, cause I wouldn't know what that feels like." 

I roll my eyes, once again, and punch his arm. "No, you wouldn't, since I gave in almost instantly. But that's not the point. The point is that August is a good guy." 

"You barely know him!" 

"That might be true, but I feel a connection, babe. I can't let this feeling go away. It's nothing romantic, but it feels strong, like we were meant to meet, and I don't know why."

Jake sighs. "If you really want him to sat, he can, but only for a few weeks, if he causes to much commotion, he's out." 

I smile widely and jump hug him. "Thank you so much! You won't regret it, I promise!" I run back over to August and tell him the good news. His face lights up instantly. 

"Really?! That's so great! I can finally get out of that good-for-nothing pack and get away from my mate." 

"What's going on there exactly? Why did he not reject you?" 

He looks really sad, but answers anyway. "I don't know. I think he's just an ass, but it still hurts sometimes. I think I might have to be the one to reject him." 

"I tried the same thing! It didn't work." I point at Jake, who's behind me. He wraps his arms around me and puts his head on my shoulder. 

"Damn right I didn't let you. You're mine." 

"I am no one's but my own. Am I your mate? Yes. Am I your boyfriend? Yes. But I am not yours." 

"Whatever. Doesn't change that the baby in your tummy is mine." 

I furrow my eyebrows. "When did I say he wasn't?" 

He shrugs and tightens his hold around me, and I smile. I look back up at August and see that he has a fond yet sad look on his face. Shit. I should have been more empathetic about his feelings. I push Jake away, who frowns, and go over to August. 

"You need to let these feelings out, or it's just going to get worse. Your anger, fear, sadness, joy. All of them need to come out, or it's just going to get worse. Talk to your mate. You're not really in a relationship, but I think he should know, but I'm not trying to tell you what to do. It's your body and baby, so you decide what needs to happen." 

He starts crying but smiles at the same time. "Thank you. Thank you so much. I don't know what I would do without you!" He comes up and hugs me.  

"You've literally known him for, like, an hour." I hit Jake with my foot, and he whines. Should've thought of that before you were rude! 

Yeah! You tell him, Peter!

"And where the hell have you been?" 

Oh, you know. Just doing my wolf things. Getting ready for the baby and stuff. 

"You need to get ready for the baby?" 

Of course! It's my and Jake's wolf's duty to raise her wolf! Didn't you know this?

"No. No one told me. How would you expect me to know?" 

Whatever. I would stop the hug now. Jake's getting jealous.