Chapter Twenty-Two: I Love You

Peter's POV

Tears stream down my face as I wait for the final blow. I tried so hard to protect you, little one, but I clearly wasn't strong or good enough. I'm sorry. I love you.

I see the foot getting closer, so I ready my body and mind for whats about to happen.

It's gets closer and closer and closer, but then it stops. I see a hand grab the foot, stopping it from hitting me. The world stops being in slow motion, so I train my eyes to look at who stopped it.

My eyes widen as I look at my mate. He grabbed Bates' leg and threw him across the room. Now he's attacking his followers. He comes over to me, and that's when I see his eyes. They're not normal. They're a deep black color, cold and heartless. It unusual compared to his sweet loving blue eyes. They're horrifying.

The people holding me down are shaking in fear, yet they're unmoving. Jake grabs the one holding my head and breaks his arm. A horrible cracking sound resonates through the room. He grabs the two holding my arms and knocks their heads together, abusing them to bleed and pass out. I start to try to get the two holding my arms off, but I'm still crying from shock, so it's causing me to miss my aim. My mate grabs them and throws them on the ground, successfully taking their breath away. He steps on their throats, making them pass out from lack of oxygen.

I just sit their on my butt, looking at him in shock, amusement, relief, love, and fear. He turns to me and comes over, wrapping his arms around me and kissing me hard.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, baby."

I laugh and shake my head. "Don't be. You saved me and our baby. I love you."

"Let's get home. We've already spent to much time here."

I nod in agreement, and he picks me up bridle style. He walks through the house, but no one dares tough him. They see what he just did. He has blood stains on his clothes and body. He's a little bruises, but it's just mostly on his knuckles. He does have a cut on his eyebrow, that I'm pretty sure will leave a mark.

"I'm so sorry."

I look at Jake in confusion as he puts me down in my seat in the car, buckling me up. "Why are you sorry?"

He comes over to his side and starts the car. "My one job was to protect you and our baby, and I couldn't even do that. I failed you as a boyfriend, mate, friend, baby daddy, and for the baby as a father. I couldn't save you."

"Baby. It's not your fault. It was my job to protect the baby in me. I couldn't do that. Don't blame you-"

"But I'm you mate! I should be able to protect you and our baby from anything! It's what I need and want to do! Protect both of you! I died for hat month with out you. I didn't know who I was anymore. That might be bad, but I felt numb. I didn't have you or our baby with me. I felt so incomplete. I was broken. You were gone so long. We were supposed to see how the baby is going. Now you're almost at the end of you first trimester. We don't know how she's doing. I'm scared, Peter. What if something happened to her?"

I start to go tear up again. Goddess, why do I keep crying. I put my hand on Jake's and curl our fingers together. "She's fine. I felt her move in the middle of the chaos. She's alive. They probably drugged both of us, my love. They drugged me with some-"