The Talk

The canteen for a change was almost empty, but rather than being thankful for that Akshi was a bit scared. The close proximity of them being seated on one table, in front of each other in an almost empty room was not settling with her mind.

"Relax I won't eat you." Akshi heard his voice and almost jumped in her seat.

"No... I mean..."

"You were playing with your ring Akshi... obviously you were worried." Akshi looked at him shocked, and then her gaze went down to her hand which rested and played with her ring. She quickly removed it and kept it on the table.

"I think we should rather order something and get the talking thing done." Akshi said, her eyes looking straight into his black ones.

She hated the fact that he knew her so well, the way he could tell what her eyes meant when they blinked when had a glint in them. Whereas she... she couldn't read him even for a living.

"Okay, What would you like to have?" he asked and offered her the menu card.

"I will have triple shezwan fried rice."Akshi said, without even touching the menu card as if she knew what she wanted beforehand. It only made Abhi shocked.

"You didn't like Chinese." He stated.

"You are right; I didn't ... a past tense you see. Things have changed a lot." The bitterness in her voice had made the room fill with chill.

With a small nod Abhi stood up and ordered their food, once he came back Akshi straightened up in her seat and asked,

"You wanted to talk about something."

For a minute or two he just kept on looking at her. And it was as if she was dying each and every moment that she tried to convince herself for not to weaken.

He had a delicious effect on her, but she had learned to love herself more than anyone else now, and things were not going to change for some delicious feelings.

"You wouldn't faze right?" he asked as if he knew what was going on in her mind.

"Abhi you have always claimed to know me so well, then why you are here?" the merry go round weren't going to work. Things would get complicated it was better to finish off things before they could even get bitter. She thought and kept on looking at him, as if edging him to tell her. But this time, only the truth.

"And please tell me the truth no more stories and riddles."

A pin drop silence had flowed around them for a while. None of them spoke. Akshi wanted him to start and end off with his explanation. She didn't want to stay there and look at him. For each and every moment that they spent together her mind was losing the grip on her heart.

"I never lied to you." Abhi said all of a sudden. His piercing gaze and the words made her laugh.

"And I am the most beautiful women in this world. Abhi one shouldn't at least lie while explaining things." Akshi snapped at him and focused on her food.

"Akshi, I swear I never lied when I said that I was going to give NDA and move out of here. But things didn't work. My dad, I almost lost him in a battle. For months he had been in the hospital, we didn't even know about that. There were no contacts nothings. My mom, my mom had almost accepted that he was as good as dead."

The words that came out of his mouth had got Akshi's attention and unknown to her as well she had reached out to him and held his hand. The same way she would always do, to tell him that she was there and that things would be fine.