16

I was sitting in the kitchen after having eaten a late brunch with my family when the doorbell rang. I couldn't really help with the dishes because of my cast, so I was there to keep my parents company. Yesterday's breakfast had been ruined by my fall, so this was our last big family meal together, and my folks had gone all out. We'd had Belgium waffles, a sausage and egg casserole, and fruit.

"I'll get it," Tony signed. The doorbell also set off a flashing light in each room so that Tony knew when someone was at the door.

A few seconds later I heard a familiar voice.

"Hi! I'm Shawn. Is Sadie here?"

Fuck. What was he doing here this early? I'd said to come late in the afternoon.

I was getting off my stool when Shawn and Tony walked into the kitchen.

Tony signed to me with a grin on his face, "Look who's here!"

I couldn't sign back because of my stupid cast, so I just gave him a look. I didn't want him making a big deal out of this.

"Hey, Shawn. You're early," I said, glaring at him. My parents were behind me and could not see my expression.

"I woke up and decided to get a jump on traffic," he said with a smile, ignoring the look I gave him. "And I thought it would be nice to meet your family. You never told me you had a brother."

Tony was lip-reading everything Shawn said. He turned to me and signed, "You didn't mention me to him?"

I shook my head at my little brother and gave him a sympathetic look. I'd text him an explanation later.

My mom stepped forward and held out a hand. "Hi, Shawn. I'm Caroline Petrelli. This is my husband Michael. It's so generous of you to help Sadie out like this!"

Shawn shook her hand and then did the same with my dad.

"I brought you something," he said. He then handed my mother a bag.

My mom opened it and pulled out two bottles of wine. The good merlot.

"Sadie said you enjoyed red wine and this is a favorite of mine," he told her.

"That's very kind of you," my dad said as my mom put the wine in the wine rack. "You look familiar..."

Tony started signing to my dad. When he was done, my dad looked at Shawn again.

"You're famous? A singer?"

"Yes, sir," Shawn replied.

My mother gave me a sharp look. "You know a celebrity and you never told us?"

Tony signed, "She told me."

I was relieved that Shawn didn't understand what Tony had said, but of course my mom wasn't letting it drop.

"You told your brother and not us? Sadie! We don't keep secrets in this family!"

If only she knew the whole story. Actually, if she did know, she'd probably wish it were still a secret.

My dad clapped Shawn on the shoulder. "It doesn't matter what we knew or when. It's nice to meet you."

This was just way too weird.

"We're headed to Montmagny for a wedding, but you make yourself right at home. There's pasta in the fridge, but if you go out my feelings won't be hurt," my mom told Shawn. She then turned to me, "You two are leaving tomorrow?"