Cross?

---Nightmare's POV----

I left the others arguing and carried the sleeping skeleton to his room, sighing. I was hoping he wouldn't be infected for some reason. I don't know why, but I really don't want this poor skeleton to have to die. He's probably gone through so much. Plus his whole body reeked of fear - a nice and simple way to feel powerful.

Dust and Horror clearly want him dead. But Killer and Error seemed willing to let him stay, at least until he was proven clear of any infection.

I'm pretty sure I'm immune to the infection, thanks to the 'cure' I was injected with all those months ago. But I'm still going to be careful with this skeleton. He could still suddenly bite me if he has been lying and he is actually infected.

I walked into my room, humming softly as I placed him down on my bed. He was still shivering, his small body shaking as he gripped onto the thin blanket wrapped around him. Shifting over to him I clicked my tongue in disproval, pulling the thick blanket I sleep under over him too for an extra layer.

After a while his shaking subsided until only a few shivers would ripple through his body occasionally.

He pulled the blankets up close to him, a small frown visible on his face as he shifted to get comfortable.

I sat down next to him on the bed, my eye wandering over his facial features. He was an adult like us, that was clear. His skeletal structure had matured from its child and teen phase, now more rigid and pronounced.

The image of him looking up at me, tears streaming from his terrified eyes was imbedded into my mind. It wasn't a pleasant image, but I didn't necessarily hate it. I'd seen far too many people look up at me like that. So much to the point I felt immune.

I shook my head, sighing as I tentatively reached out to brush my thumb over the tear stains on his cheek bones. The guy probably lost all of his family in the apocalypse. Just like the rest of us.

I know the people we killed weren't his actual family. Humans can't give birth to monsters so I'm assuming they took him in when they found him alone or something.

I know that I need to check over him for bite or infection marks, but for now I let him sleep. He really needed it.

——————

It was two hours later when he woke up.

The dirty skeleton let out a yawn before his eyes fluttered open, his expression tired and confused, glancing around groggily.

I stayed still, simply watching his movements.

He looked around sleepily before his eyes rested on me, instantly widening. He backed up on the bed, tugging the blankets around him tighter.

Rolling my eye I shook my head. "Relax. I'm the one that saved you, remember? I'm not going to hurt you.. yet."

The skeleton blinked before nodding shakily and sorting up straight, shifting himself out of the blankets so that he was sat next to me.

"Where- where am I?" He asked, looking up at me with wide eyes. I was amused to see that they didn't hold as much fear in them anymore, it was more curiosity.

"You're in my mansion." I said, my eye wandering to the striking scar on his cheek. The way it dragged in that zigzag pattern. Luckily it looked more like damage from an object, not a zombie's teeth or claws.

He looked away upon noticing my gaze, mumbling. "Are those savages here? The ones that killed all my friends?"

I rolled my eye and nodded. "Yeah, they're my teammates."