Cured

❤️💜9K💜❤️

---Nightmare's POV----

I sat there helplessly, listening to Cross' screams and cries of agony. He'd been screaming his throat raw for about ten minutes now, the clear pain in his screams was making me feel sick.

Magic sat opposite me, sighing. "Look I know this sounds bad, but it is working so far...the cure is having to destroy all the virus cells and...no matter what we do...that will cause him agonising, unbearable pain..."

I didn't answer, burying my face in my hands as Cross started screaming for me. He was begging for me to come help him, begging for me to stop the pain. And I could only sit here in a separate room from him, my soul practically breaking from how much pain he was in.

"NIGHTMARE PLEASE!!!" He screamed, making me almost stand up and march in there.

Magic stopped me. "Look I know this is hard. But you can't go in there. Only when we're sure it's safe you can..."

I growled but sat back down, wincing as his voice cracked in a massive scream again. The sound of him kicking and thrashing against the restraints could be heard through his desperate screams. That only made it worse.

"How long will this take?!" I hissed.

Magic gulped. "Well seeing as the virus had effectively taken over ninety nine percent of his body...it will take a long time..."

"How long?!"

"About an hour..."

I froze, feeling like crying. Cross was going to have to suffer through the most agonising pain he's ever been through for another hour, desperately screaming for help, not understanding why I wasn't coming for him. And I'll have to suffer through all of it.

That mere thought was enough to make me nearly throw up. He didn't deserve any of his. I'd swap my place for his in a soul beat at this point, anything to get him out of pain.

But I stayed there, simply listening as his screams slowly quietened, his throat too raw to make any more loud sounds anymore.

——————

Eventually, after an agonising wait, he went quiet, and the sound of him thrashing died down to nothing.

I stood up immediately, but was stopped.

"Wait here..." Magic said, walking into the room.

Having had enough of this, I ignored her, pushing open the door before she could shut it and marching into the room.

Cross was limp on the table, his breathing harsh and ragged as he desperately gulped down air. His fingers twitched lightly, and his eyes fluttered. Other than that he seemed almost dead.

"Cross?" I whispered, my voice cracking in concern as I looked down at him, holding onto his hand lightly.

He didn't respond, staying limp.

Breathing out shakily, I rubbed off the blood from his hand with my hoodie sleeve, petting his skull with my other hand at the same time.

The others watched, tense to see if their cure would actually work, or if it would fail and Cross would die right before me.

I rubbed under his jaw softly, and nearly let out a gasp of relief as a faint, strained purr escaped him.

I sat down on the end of the bed, continuing to rub his jaw and shoulder blades affectionately until his breathing slowly calmed down, going from ragged and desperate, to clam and smooth.