1.1 Heather

"Sweetie, please, come out of your room" mom asked, standing in front of the closed wooden plank. I didn't answer her, not since what happened. It was her fault. It was all her fault! And I know it's unreasonable to blame her for my father's death but I had to blame someone. Yes, I'm in that fase.

I was so angry at her! At everyone! My father died and nobody did a thing! Not my mom, nor the doctors, nor any other family! My father suffered and no one cared... Sorry always comes to late... I heard her sigh through the tin walls of our home.

"I'll set some food aside for you in the fridge, you know how to heat it up if you get hungry" she said and left, leaving a klick sound every time her heels touched the floor. I hated those stupid heels, the annoying noise they made when she walked...

She left my father to die. And she wasn't even my real mom! My real mom died when I was 5, she was just my steph mom. Not that she has ever been a pain to me... She was my mother when I needed one and I know she made my dad happy but still... I couldn't just forgive her for what she did. No, rephrase, I couldn't forgive her for what she didn't do.

Sometimes it felt like I was the only one that cared about my father... I burried myself deeper in my blanket and sobbed in my pillow. My father was dead... He's really dead... Gone forever... I cried harder, even wailed. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Pling!

That irritating sound of a notification... I didn't look. I wasn't really in the mood for being laughed at, being bullied. Not that I felt like that any day, but just not today. Not now. But what if it was Benji? I couldn't leave him hanging, he was my best friend... He's been there for me for years, I've know him as long as I can remember! He also lives just around the corner, making our friendship a lot easier. I think that's how it's sustained actually. Otherwise he would've left me a long time ago, just like everybody else...

Just like Thomas... I sighed and punched my bear. No! Don't think about that asshole! He's not worth it! Maybe I could get my mind off things with homework? Yeah, let's try that. At least I would be doing something positive.

...

"Hey Stewart! Wait for me!"
I turned around and saw Benji run after me.
"I didn't know you were going to school today, you know, with everything that's been going on" he sighed and we started walking together. We always walked to school together, we only lived a few blocks away so it wasn't that far off. Why not ride there? Goes a lot quicker right? Well, Benji hates bikes, something that happened when we were young, he doesn't like to talk about it.

"Yes, sorry, I should've told you" I whispered.
"And I should've waited for you, I just didn't know if you already left or not"
"No, it's no problem" he stated and smiled.
"I'm glad you're doing better"

Yeah, better... Better is a big word but I guess I'm doing okay considering the circumstances... Not that I told him that. I wanted him to have a bit of hope, some faith that everything would be alright. It's fake, of course. Everything is. My smile, fake. My heart, broken. I would never be the same again. But he didn't need to know that. Not now...

We soon arrived at school, chatting away without a care in the world. I almost forgot all my worries for a second, but was called back to earth rather quickly when I heard him shout my name...

"Hey Stupart!"

We turned our heads to see Taylor. He always picks on me. On the weak in general. And I was one of them. Definitely weak.

"It's Stewart" Benji hissed, trying to defend me. Oh no, don't do it, it never ends well!
"And what are you gonna do about it little Benjamin?" he mocked.
"Threaten me? Huh?" he laughed and I bit my lip, knowing what would follow next. The loud thud of my best friend hitting the concrete woke me up from my thoughts. It always ended like this...

"Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" someone hissed and pushed Taylor away. I didn't recognize him, which was strange since this was a rather small school. Everyone knew everyone here. I frowned, not being used to saving.

"And who the hell are you?!" Taylor hissed at the boy. I got a good look at him now as well. He was short and wore glasses. A real nerd look, not that it looked bad on him. It suited him better than any other style would, or so it seemed.

"I don't owe you an explenation" the boy shot back.
"Better question, who are you? Hitting on innocents like that huh?"
"Who says they're innocent?" Taylor asked with a grin but the other guy just glared at him.
"Fine! I'll leave! But be warned, the next time you stand in my way. Things. Will. Get. Ugly"
Taylor stormed off, mad as fuck. The other guy turned around while I helped Benji on his feet.

"T-thank you uhm-"
"Eric" he smiled and pushed his glasses a bit back.
"Heather" I said, returning the gesture.
"A-and this is Benji. Thanks for the safe"
"It's nothing" he smiled and looked around at the school building,
"You know what? You can repay me by telling me where my classroom is"
"New here?" Benji asked and he nodded. Hmm, I already had my suspicions.
"Which one do you need?" I asked and saw him grab a paper from his bag.

Maybe this could be the start of a new friendship? He did seem like the type to fit in our circle... I took the paper and noticed it was his full shedule. Math and Sciences... Hmm, he does seem the type for that... Looks like he got English first. All the last years have the same teacher for English. The bell rang and people started getting to their classes. We were gonna be late...

"Well, let's hope Mr Mills is in a good mood" I muttered.

...

"If that ain't Stupart" Becca mocked and laughed at me as I walked into class, late. Becca Lewis, aka miss popular. She was always after me for some reason. Maybe cause she's Taylor's girlfriend.

"Mrs Lewis, silence" Mrs Frontier hissed, our History teacher. After that she glared at me, watching my every move as I sat down on my spot.
"Care to explain why you're late Mrs Stewart?"

"I-I uhm was showing the new guy his classroom" I answered quietly. She must know about him, she teached the full last year.
"Hmm, okay, I'll leave it with a warning this time. Don't be late again"
"It won't happen again, I promise" I said and got my books.

The rest of class was boring, nothing special. We learned about the second world war, just like last time, just like we'll see next time. It was depressing, really. So many people died and for what? War is useless violence about nothing more than 3 things. Money, religion and rescourses. It's a waste of good people and a show off for monsters. It's like a school playground but with a deadly ending, in my case at least...

My thoughts slipped back to my father. I shook my head ever so slightly, trying to get it out of my head. I couldn't burst into tears in the middle of class. People would laugh at how weak I am. I would be laughed at, bullied. I couldn't take that right now... I could go hide in the bathroom during the break, get my frustration all out. Yeah, I think I'll do that...

...

"Oh look, it's Eric" Benji said and pointed at the person in question. He was walking with Thomas, happily chatting, not even looking in our direction.
"Hunter" Benji muttered.
"Don't, he's not worth it" I sighed.

Thomas Hunter used to be our friend. He was even my boyfriend for a while. Well, until he cheated... He wasn't even sorry, I could see it in his eyes. And now he was getting all friendly with the new guy? Probably cause Eric doesn't even know what kind of jerk he truly is.

"We should probably warn him for Hunter" Benji stated.
"Or we can wait and see what happens?" I suggested.
"I say Eric goes crazy within two weeks"
"I say one"
"Ten bucks?"
"Deal"