2.2 Heather

I totally forget to text Benji that I was out an hour early. He had waited for twenty minutes at the school gate! Argh, I'm a terrible friend! I appologized like a thousand times and he said it was fine but still... Argh, stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Maybe I was really Stupart? Benji and I walked through the gates the next day, chatting away.

"Oh look, Smith and Hunter are still together" he chuckled, pointing out the due that was walking towards the lockers. They seemed to be friends already. But then I saw Becca and her friend walk up to them.
"And friendship ruined" I stated.
"She's so gonna tell Eric what kind of ass Thomas really is"

"I don't think he cares" Benji stated, frowning at the scene before us. Eric was standing up for Thomas in front of Becca and her servant. He seemed mad and was talking quite angrily.
"What the hell..." I mumbled.
"He doesn't believe her or something?"
"Must be" Benji sighed.
"I mean, by the looks of it, he's defending his friend, just like he defended us yesterday"
"Hmm. Guess we weren't that special" I muttered as we walked past them.

"Oh hey Heather! Wait!" Eric called out and ran towards us, dragging Thomas with him. He didn't make eye contact, just staring at the ground. Yeah, you better you jerk.
"I noticed you were walking towards the lockers" Eric smiled.
"We were on our way as well! So we can walk together, right?"
"Yeah, sure" Benji muttered and shrugged, looking at me.
"Fine" I sighed. I guess we kinda owe him...

"So you guys know each other? I mean, small school and everything" Eric said.
"Oh, we know each other quite well actually" Thomas stated and looked at me.
"Isn't that right Heather?"
"Yes... A bit to well to my liking" I stated.
"Oh don't be like that! We were like best friends!"
"Yeah, once upon a time, a long long time ago" I said and crossed my arms.
"So, uhm, you don't talk to each other anymore?" Eric asked.
"You knew that you asshole" I heard Thomas his quietly.
"Why are you even trying to make things up between us? I told you how she sees me, nothing can change that"

"Well, see you guys later, I guess" Benji said and pulled me with him.
"Did you hear that?" I asked.
"Hear what?" he asked.
"Eric is trying to make us get along again" I stated.
"And he knows about our past, Thomas obviously told him"
"Wait what? Why would he do that?" Benji asked confused.
"If he knew about our past he would know to leave you two be as far away from each other as possible"

"I don't think he shares that opinion" I shrugged and opened my locker.
"Yeah, he doesn't really seem to care about a lot actually" he chuckled and started struggling with his locker.
"He doesn't seem the kind of guy that gives a fuck about someone else's opinion. He is his own person, you know?"
"Yeah, I see what you're saying" I stated and closed my locker, seeing him still fighting his own.

He bit his tongue, which was sticking out of his mouth ever so slightly. His brows furrowed as he focussed on his lock.
"Are you okay?" I said with a small laugh. He groaned and kicked his locker.
"Stupid blue metal monster! I hate this ridiculouse tin can!"

"Maybe I can help?"
I looked over Benji's shoulder and saw Eric. I noticed Thomas glaring at us from his locker. Why? Did he want Eric all for himself or something? I glared back at him and saw him blush slightly before he looked at the ground. What the hell?

"Here you go" Eric smiled and Benji's locker opened up.
"What?! How?!" he exclaimed with his hands in his hair.
"I've been to enough schools and dealed with enough lockers to know what cracks them open" he stated.
"See you guys around!"
He quickly walked back to Thomas and started chatting happily.

Hunter gave us a quick glance before throwing his arm around Eric and guiding him back outside. Hmm, overprotective, strange... Not like him at all.
"Keep it up and you'll turn green" Benji muttered. My eyes widened and I glared at him.
"And what's that supposed so mean?" I hissed.
"It means you're as jealous as a kid who sees another one with a toy he wants" he stated with a serious look.

"Come on, Heather, you're better than that"
"I'm not jealous!" I exclaimed furiously and slapped his shoulder.
"Yeah, sure" he mumbled and put his books away in his bag.
"Come on, let's get going before Becca McPopular or Tripping Taylor find us"

...

Eric and Thomas were actually getting really close friends. I got frustrated by that. I hated it and I don't know why. It's not like I'm jealous, I don't like Hunter anymore. And Eric is such a pure soul, nobody could be mad at him. So why? I just didn't understand...

"You've been staring at that wall for a pretty long time now" I heard from beside me. I looked aside to see Benji. I slightly shook my head and smiled.
"Just lost in thought, I guess" I shrugged and continued to eat my lunch.
"It seemed a bit more than that" he stated.
"Is it Hunter? Still thinking about him?"
"I'm not jealous" I hissed instantly.
"I-I don't know what it is, but it's not jealousy"

"You know you're sounding crazy right?" he asked, chuckling.
"Argh, you're such a great friend" I said, pushing his arm in a playful manner.
"Yeah, right, like you're such a perfect angle" he joked.
"Come on, spit it out. What's up?"
"I don't know! I'm long over Hunter and Eric is just such a pure soul, I can't be mad at him for befriending such a jerk"
"So that's it, you're worried for the new guy" Benji sighed, muttering a bit.
"Maybe... That must be it" I said.

"So, you like him?" Benji asked, looking directly at me.
"What do you mean?"
"Heather, do you have a crush on Eric?" he asked very seriously.
"What? Of course not!" I exclaimed.
"Why would you even suggest something like that?!"
"S-sorry I-I just thought-"
"No! You didn't think! You just say things!" I hissed and got up.
"Don't even try to come after me"

...

I can't believe he insinuated something like that! Ridiculous! Just ridiculous! I groaned as punched the pillow laying in my lap.
"Everything alright sweetheart?"
I looked up to see mom. She had a worried look on her face, she just wanted to help, but I didn't care at the moment.
"I'm pissed! Angry! Mad! What other words are there to discribe this? Oh yeah, furious!"

"Why?" she asked surprisingly calm and sat down next to me.
"Benji said something stupid... It's nothing important"
"Then why are you making such a big deal out of it?" she asked.
"I don't know okay!" I yelled and covered my face, suddenly in tears.

I hate this stupid mood swings! Ever since dad... Ever since he died I was having outbursts and mood swings. It was getting really annoying! I felt mom's arms around me as she pulled me into a hug. I started crying while she comforted me. Why was I such a cry baby?! Why can't I be stronger?! Mom hugged me thighter and started crying as well.

"It's okay" she whispered.
"W-we're going to f-fine"

I got the feeling she was only saying that to make herself feel better, not because I was crying. And still, it didn't sound very convincing... This must be hard for her as well... That I didn't realise that before... All this time she was trying to make sure I was alright she was suffering in silence, putting my needs before hers. Letting me grieve but supress hers...

"I-it's fine mom" I whispered.
"W-we'll be fine no matter what... I-I'm sure of it"

Now it was her time to cry, and she cried hard. Can you blame her? She's been holding back for days now, maybe even weeks. The loud sobs echoed through the house as we both mourned the death of the man we loved. The man we lost and will never forget ever in our entire life.