1.4 Becca

"Rebecca! Get down or you can walk to school!" my dad shouted upstairs as I was doing my hair.
"Almost done!" I yelled back and grabbed my bag. I put my phone in and hopped downstairs.
"I'm already in the car!" dad shouted and I heard the door slam shut. I rolled my eyes and put on my shoes.

He was always very busy, always thinking about work and stuff like that. He's a doctor, you see, and he takes it super serious. Never has time due to that, only one of the reasons my mother left him... But he spoils me with money and expensive stuff to pay up for the lost time so I guess I'm good. Living in a big house, getting everything I want when I want.

I sighed and got in the car. We left almost instantly without really saying anything to each other. It's how it always went. I was used to it, nothing new.
"See you after school sweetie" he said as I kissed his cheek, leaving the car.

I walked through the gate and instantly searched for Casandra, my best friend.
"Hey Becca!"
"Cass!" I smiled and hugged her.
"What's the latest gossip?"
"Stupart is at school today" she started.
"And I heard the teachers talk about this new kid that's coming today. Eric Smith, supposed to be in our year"
"Which class?" I asked.
"Dunno, Math and Sciences anyway, it's all I know" she shrugged.
"Not our catagory" I sighed.
"Nope" she breathed out.
"Probably some nerd"
"Urgh... In other words not worth any time" I muttered.

"Where's Taylor?"
"Over at the lockers" Cass said and pointed at the door.
"Great" I smiled and walked over to the lockers. And indeed, my boyfriend was messing around in his.
"Hey babe, whatcha doing?" I asked.
"Wrestling with math, how bout you?" he asked and pulled me in for a kiss.
"You really need to clean this place up, it's a mess" I laughed.
"Oh shut up" he chuckled and kissed me again.

"Stupart is back today" I stated.
"Really? Great, I need to let off some steam" he laughed and kicked his locker shut.
"There's also a new guy attending today, Math and Sciences, probably a nerd" I shrugged.
"Urgh, as long as he doesn't bother me it's good I guess" he muttered.
"Anyway, gotta go, see you later?"
"Of course" I smiled and pecked him on the cheek before taking off myself as well.

...

Class had already started and no sign of Heather. Hmm, I saw her outside earlier... Why is she late? Crying over her dead daddy in the bathroom again? I was the first one to know her father died cause her mother was crying all about it with my dad. He was Mr Stewart's doctor when he died.

What I found out later was that Mrs Stewart had an affaire with my dad. For ages! Disgusting! I haven't confronted him about it yet, but I guess it's his business... Suddenly the door opened and I saw Heather arrive.

"If that ain't Stupart" I mocked and laughed at her as she walking in late.
"Mrs Lewis, silence" Mrs Frontier hissed, our History teacher. After that she glared at Stewart, watching her every move as she sat down on her chair.
"Care to explain why you're late Mrs Stewart?"
"I-I uhm was showing the new guy his classroom" she answered quietly. The new guy? She went for him? Seriously? If they can be friends, it must mean he's the nerd I expected him to be...
"Hmm, okay, I'll leave it with a warning this time. Don't be late again"
"It won't happen again, I promise" she said and got her books.

The rest of class was boring. We talked about the war a bit, nothing more. I already knew all this stuff from documentaries I've watched. Cause unlike many people think, I'm actually quite smart. I skipped one year, so I'm a year younger than everyone else here.

Not that they knew that. Nobody knew how high my IQ was and nobody needed to know. A straight A-student, that's what I was. But I wasn't a nerd, I knew some things about fashion. Not that that was the only thing I cared about, but it's the only thing the world needs to know about me. I, Rebecca Lewis, the fashion Queen, the popular queen bee of this small high school... Guess being rich has its advantages.

...

"Wait, what?" I asked surprised.
"Yeah, that dickhead just stood up to me like it was no big deal" Taylor muttered angrily.
"I'm gonna kill that bastard"
"Don't" I said.
"He's new, it's a rooky mistake. Give him a good scare tomorrow and he won't bother you again"
"Good plan babe" he laughed and kissed me.
"I'll go with that"

"I saw him hanging with Thomas Hunter at lunch" Cass stated.
"Think they're getting along?" I asked, not thinking anyone would last long with Hunter.
"I think they're meeting up after school" Casandra said and my eyes widened.
"Really? That new guy with the biggest asshole of the school?"
"Apparently" she shrugged.
"Says enough bout that Eric" Taylor spat.
"Guess he just doesn't know the stories yet" I grinned.
"Time to lecture him about it, don't ya think?"

"I like that plan" Taylor grinned.
"Maybe I can make a move when I'm 'scaring' him tomorrow. You and Cass can be info brochures"
"Yeah, Hunter isn't worth friendship. Everyone should know that" Cass stated.
"Great, maybe there's potential in this Eric after all huh?" I asked.
"But anyway, I gotta get going, my dad is gonna be here any minute now"
"Okido, see ya later babe" Taylor smiled and kissed me one last time before I got up and walked to the parking lot.

We were done one hour early today, a teacher was absent. I sighed and looked around, searching for the familiar black car. Aha, gottcha! I walked up to it and saw my dad on the phone, talking. He cut it short once ge noticed I was there and he put the phone down.

"Hello darling, come on, make it quick, I need to be back at the hospital in an hour"
"Yes dad" I sighed and buckled up. Always work... Couldn't really blame him, there was nothing to stay home for... Besides, it gave me a lot of freedom.

...

Listening to music on my bed while reading in my book about interplanetairy studies. Just a normal school day for me. The stars peeked my interest. Unknown planets, space... My dream is to work for NASA one day. It's been ever since I was little and maybe I make a decent chance. I don't really know...

Suddenly my phone rang and I groaned. It was my dad... Argh, what now? I paused my music and answered the phone.
"Yeah?"
"I'm sending someone home, it's urgent" he started.
"There's a file in the top drawer of my desk in my study. Please get it and place it on the cabinet in the hall downstairs. Thanks honey, love you"
After that he just hung up.

I groaned and rolled my eyes, getting up from my bed. Did he ever consider I was doing something else? No! Argh! I muttered angrily while I made my way downstairs to his study. I walked up to his big dark wooden desk and fell down in his big boss chair. I rolled back a bit and scooted back forward to the desk.
"Alright... Top drawer" I muttered but saw some open case on his desk which sparked my attention.

Thomas Hunter

My eyes went wide and I grabbed the file on his desk together with the one he needed. I put the file he wanted so bad on the cabinet downstairs like he wanted and went back upstairs. Why would dad have Thomas Hunter's medical file? He only worked with cancer patients... I opened the case on my bed and started reading.

Oh my God... No... I held my hand in front of my mouth and bit my hand. No... That wasn't possible... He has cancer? H-he can die..? No! No, this was a lie! He couldn't... A genetic variant, inheritted by his mother... I knew Mrs Hunter died a few years back but I had no idea she had cancer. Looks like he has a brain tumor of some sort... The radiation didn't seem to do the trick so he was put on this experimental trial that was supposed to make him better.

Looking at the results and having quite the knowledge on this stuff I would say it was working. He had a real decend chance of getting better! Okay, that was amazing news! For a minute there I thought he was dying...

Wait.

What if he thought the same thing? What if that's why he went full jerk out of nowhere? Became the way he is now? I sighed and let a hand wander through my hair. I needed to think some things through befor confronting him about this...