3.2 Thomas

I slowly pulled away, my warm breath causing fog on Eric's glasses. Soon I realised what I actually did and shot off him, now in a sitting position next to him on the bed. What the hell was I thinking?! Eric carefully removed his glasses while he got up in a sitting position himself. He wiped them clean with his shirt before putting them back on and looking at me.

"I-I had no idea you felt that way towards me Thomas" he whispered, a blush present on his cheeks.
"D-did you, uhm, l-like it?" I asked nervously, fidgetting with the end of my sleeves. My sweater was a few sizes to big so I could slap people with them. I thought it was more comfortable this way and I take a lot of naps in this sweater.

Eric stared at the bedsheets, not knowing how to answer my question. I was terrible, he didn't like me that way, I knew it! But then he slowly nodded, looking back at me.
"Y-you're a good kisser" he whispered hoarsly with a weak smile.
"T-Thanks..." I said quietly, turning red as well.
"You to"
"Oh, uhm, thank you, I guess" he shrugged.

"So, uhm, do you, like, like-like me o-or..?"
"I don't know" I admitted.
"I really don't know Eric... B-but there is this feeling I get when I'm with you and no one else and I just... I-I can't explain..."
He nodded in understanding, seemingly knowing what I tried to say.
"S-so do you like-like me?"
He shrugged.
"I told you, I don't know" he sighed, looking me in the eye.

"So what now? Act like it didn't happen?"
"No" I said a bit to quick, taking Eric by surprise.
"I-I mean I... I would like to explore this a bit more..."
"You're doubting your sexuality?" he asked, tilting his head while furrowing his eyebrows slightly.
"I feel something towards you that's more than friendship" I stated.
"But you don't exactly know if it's love or brotherhood? Is that it?" he asked. I nodded, staring at the bedsheets. He sighed and stood up, getting my attention.

"If you're not gonna do it, I will" he muttered and stared me down.
"Thomas Hunter, will you go out with me?"

He had a serious look plastered on his face and I knew what he was trying to do. If we went on a date then maybe I would know how I felt about him.
"A-are you sure? What about our planned friendship?" I asked.
"D-do you even like me that way? You don't have to go through all that trouble Eric-"
"Shut up" he hissed and threw his hands in the air.
"Change your stupid friendship plan in a love plan, I don't care, really. Just make a desicion"

"Okay yes, I want a date with you" I said and saw his eyes soften.
"Great! Next weekend okay with you? I mean, you still owe me a movie remember?"
"Y-Yeah, sounds great" I smiled and he looked at the time.
"Well, I have to get going, promised my mom I would be home on time" he stated and looked back at me.
"See you on Monday?"

"Eric wait" I said and shot up, grabbing his hand before he could leave my room. We stared into each others eyes for a moment before I pulled him in a hug, tears in my eyes.
"Thank you" I whispered, squeezing him tightly.
"All I did was ask you out" he chuckled as he pulled away, a smile plastered on his face.

I got lost in his gaze, inching closer to his lips without knowing. He noticed and closed his eyes, embracing the moment. Our lips met once more, softly brushing against each other. He kissed back, placing a hand in my neck while mine were wrapped around his middle. After what felt like a few minutes I pulled back, staring at him.

"Goodbye to you to" he smirked.
"But I really do have to get going, sorry"
"It's okay" I smiled.
"I'll walk with you to the door"

...

"So you had a good time with Eric today?" Ellie asked during dinner. Dad looked surprised, not knowing he'd been here.
"Oh, uh, yes" I said, avoiding eye contact. I hadn't told them about our kiss yet. Or the second one. Or the date. I just couldn't find the words, you know?

"Eric was here? When?"
"While Thomas was having one of his episodes" Ellie stated.
"Little Eric Smith was allowed in his room while it was 'closed'..."
"Wait what? Seriously?" dad asked with wide eyes. I poked my food, staring at the table.
"He just makes me feel better okay?" I muttered, not looking up.
"Ooh~" my sister grinned and pushed me teasingly. I didn't react to her, which worried her.

"What? Did something happen?"
"Kinda" I sighed and looked up from my plate, staring at dad. I knew he wasn't against gays, to label it. But he would still be pretty shocked, probably. Here goes nothing...
"We kissed" I forced out, feeling the shocked eyes burning on my skin.
"Did he-?" Eleanor started but I interrupted.
"I kissed him" I stated, my voice not trembling anymore.
"Twice. And I liked it"

"S-so, uhm, does he... I mean, is it mutual?" Ellie asked, the only one able to speak since dad was way to flabbergasted at the moment.
"We're going on a date next weekend" I answered her and stuffed my mouth, not wanting anymore questions. Dad just stared at me, wide eyed, not knowing how to react to this.
"Oh! That's so cute! I'm happy for you Thomas" Ellie smiled and ruffled my hair. I chuckled and pushed her hand away, trying to fix what she had done to my hair.
"Thanks sis" I smiled and looked at dad.
"S-so, uhm, what about you dad? W-what do you think?"
"Well uh... Eric seems a nice guy so, uhm, I-I don't really see why not"

He forced out a smile, which I returned, and we continued eating like nothing ever happened. I'm glad dad doesn't make a huge deal out of it, knowing he was probably inner flipping as we speak. But he didn't show, he stayed calm. Eleanor on the other hand was smiling like crazy. She was indeed very very happy for me.

"Oh my God! Thomic!" she exclaimed out of nowhere.
"What?" I asked, visibly confused.
"Or-or Eromas! Yeah, that sounds great!" she continued like I haven't even said something.
"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked, looking at her as if she was crazy.
"Ship names, duh" she stated like it was obvious. At that I realised what she was saying. My eyes widened and I almost chocked on my food. Coughing rough and loud afterwards. Dad just stared at us as if we were crazy, wondering why Eleanor was coming up with such ridiculous names for boats.

"I-I kinda like Thomic better" I chocked out after drinking some water.
"Really? I think Eromas has quite a nice ring to it" she said.
"What in the world are you two kids talking about?" dad asked.
"A ship name for Eric and Thomas" Ellie smiled.
"Every couple needs one, believe me"
"W-we're not a-a couple" I muttered, a faint blush covering both my cheeks.
"Yet" she smirked.
"Argh, kids..." dad muttered and shook his head slowly.
"You'd better help me clean up instead of fantasizing over some imaginary stuff"

He started gathering the dishes while Ellie helped him, an offended look plastered on her face.
"Jeez, thanks old man" she stated and walked after him into the kitchen.
"Don't forget to take your medicine Thomas!"
"Already on it!" I yelled back as I grabbed my basket.
"Oh and don't forget you can't go to school Wednesday" dad added.
"You have an appointment with Doctor Lewis at the hospital"
"Yeah, yeah, I know" I said, waving it off.
"Something else while we're at it?"
"Yes! Don't forget to ask Eric out for a second date next weekend!" Ellie shouted from the kitchen.
"Oh, and ask him to be your boyfriend to! That would be all, thanks!"
"Ellie!" I hissed, my eyes wide and my face red.

...

"Hey Thomas!" Eric smiled and walked up to me.
"You're happy for a Monday morning" I chuckled. He rolled his eyes and shook his head.
"Just happy to see you, I guess" he shrugged. He pushed his glasses back on his nose and stared at me, waiting for me to say something back.
"Well, I'm glad to see you to" I said with a small smile.

"And guess what? My sister has made ship names for us"
"Really? We're not even a couple" he laughed.
"That's what I said!" I stated and we both laughed.
"So? What did she come up with?" he asked curiously.
"Well, I think the best one is Thomic" I grinned.
"What about Tric?" Eric shrugged.
"Or Eros hmm?"
"Oh, I see, you like the shorter ones" I smirked.

We had a whole discusion about ship names after that. Shouting random things at each other, coming up with some for us and others. It was fun. Really fun. I don't deserve a guy like Eric... But somewhere deep within my mind I knew this was too good to be true. That Eric carried around a secret, bigger than any of us. Guess I'll only find out when it's already too late...