3.1 Eric

The week went by faster than I thought and Thomas and I really had a lot of fun together. It was nice to have a friend again... Even though it would only be temporary... I shook my head. No, I couldn't think like that. A life lasting friendship, that's what he promised me, that's what I'm going for.

Right now I was getting ready to head out. It was sunday and we would go see a movie together. I didn't know which one yet, Thomas said he was going to surprise me. Guess I'll roll with it, right?

"Going somewhere?" mom asked as I took my coat.
"I'm gonna see a movie with Thomas, thought I told you" I said.
"Oh, uh, right" she sighed and bit her lip.
"J-just be careful out there alright?"
"Nothing will happen mom, don't worry" I said and kissed her cheek.
"Besides, I know how to handle myself, don't I?"
"Still..." she muttered and looked at me.
"I'll be back before dark, promise" I smiled and put my shoes on.
"Love you!"
"Love you to!"

And with that I walked out, on my way to Thomas' house. Mom was really overprotective sometimes but I guess it had something to do with the recent mail we recieved. I'm not gonna go into that part of my life, it makes people uncomfortable and things awkward. I don't want that.

...

I rang the doorbell and the annoying ringing filled the air. Eleanor opened the door with a smile.
"Hi Eric! What are you doing here?"
"Oh, I'm here to get Thomas. We're heading out" I shrugged and she frowned.
"What? Is that a problem?"
"I thought he canceled on you? I mean, he's not really in the mood to go out at the moment"
"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

She sighed and let me in. After that we went upstairs and she pointed at the 'closed' sign hanging on Thomas' bedroom.
"He doesn't want to be bothered right now. I suggest you come back another time"
"Oh" I breathed, disappointed clearly visible.

Slowly the door opened and Thomas peeked through the crack.
"I-it's okay Ellie, you c-can let him in" he whispered, taking his sister by surprise.
"Are you sure?" she asked quietly and he nodded.
"Alright... Uhm, call me when you need anything okay?"
"I will" he mumbled and left the door.

I slowly pushed it open and went inside. His room was a mess but I didn't care, mine wasn't that great either. He laid down on his bed and cuddled up with his pillow while I closed the door.

"Everything okay?" I asked.
"Yeah... No..." he muttered.
"It's the treatment, it makes me feel miserable..."
"I can come back another day, it's really no problem" I said.
"N-no, no, stay" he insisted and patted on the spot next to him.
"Please"
I walked over to his bed and sat down at his side.

"So no movie I assume?" I joked and he laughed a bit, which turned into coughing.
"Unfortunately" he said with a forced smile.
"Can't predict my outbursts so yeah"
"Guess I'll roll with it" I shrugged and laid down next to him. He had a big bed which could easily fit me three times so it wasn't all that difficult.

"So, this happens a lot?"
"More than I want to..." he sighed. His eyes were closed and he held his pillow thightly. He was in pain...
"I can go if you want, I really don't want to be a bother" I whispered but he shook his head.
"No, stay" he ordered and shifted into another position, closer to me.
"I'm used to this bullshit anyways"
I chuckled a bit, knowing he didn't mind if I laughed with his condition the way he did. If he joked about it, it was okay to laugh. But I didn't dare joke about it, afraid I might hurt him.

"So what? We're just gonna lay here and sleep all day?" I asked.
"That's the plan" he stated with a yawn. I rolled my eyes and laughed slightly.
"Alright, move it Hunter, I want the blanket"
He chuckled and rolled over so I could move underneath it. His eyes opened ever so slightly and he glanced my way.
"Now how am I gonna sleep?"
"There's still space under the blanket" I joked, not thinking he was being serious. I mean, I was only being silly to try and cheer him up. He knew that, right?
"Alright, move it" he muttered and started shifting, now laying next to me under the blanket. He inched closer to me and made himself comfortable.

"Sometimes I really do hate my life..." he muttered quietly. I didn't react to it. What do you say after that? How do you answer something like that?
"I hate this stupid cancer" he continued.
"Trying to kill me all the time... Why can't it just leave me alone and let me live in peace?"
He groaned and snuggled up with his pillow so his face was almost fully covered.
"I just wanna be with Eric..."
"M-me?" I asked confused and his eyes shot open for a second.

"Oh, uhm, I forgot you were here for a minute" he mumbled.
"So you were just talking to yourself?" I asked, slightly laughing.
"More like thinking out loud but call it whatever" he sighed, closing his eyes again.
"Tell me, you're gay right?"
"Yes"
"So you like guys?"
"That's pretty much what it means yeah" I chuckled.
"Do you like anyone?" he asked.
"As in, you have a crush on somebody?"
"I didn't see you as the gossip kind of guy" I stated.
"Mostly my boys talks are with girls, not guys"
"Just answer the question" he groaned.

"Hmm... Do I have a crush on someone... Let me see" I hummed.
"Well, basically everyone who knows I'm into guys thinks I'm into you-"
"Are you?" he asked, eyes opening. He had a glimmer of hope in his eyes, as if he wanted me to say yes. But that would be weird, right? I mean, I didn't like him that way, I think. I wasn't really sure about it though but I wasn't gonna let it ruin what we have either.

"Dunno" I shrugged, honestly.
"Why do you ask?"
He shrugged and closed his eyes again.
"Just curious..."
"Oh, just curious huh?" I grinned and pushed him ever so slightly.
"Shut up" he chuckled.
"What? You've been teasing me all week" I stated with a small laugh.
"Why can't I tease you a little bit huh?"
"Cause I'm sick, dumbass"
"Jerk"
"Dork"
"Ass"

One eye slowly opened and I stared at him with a grin. He simply smiled and shook his head, shifting into the pillow.
"You're definitly something else, that's that"
"And what's that supposed to mean?" I asked confused.
"Well, for example, you're the first one that's allowed in my room when the closed sign hangs up" he started.
"And you're always able to cheer me up. Seriously, I already feel a lot better since you came here. It's like I've known you for years, I can't really explain..."
"Yeah, we do have a connection" I smiled and stared at the ceiling.
"I'm glad you're feeling better to"
We just laid there in silence for a few more minutes before someone spoke again.

"Tell anyone I'm a softie and I'll kill you" Thomas stated out of nowhere.
"Tss, whatever, I knew you were a softie from the moment we met" I laughed.
"I'm good at reading faces remember?"
"Hmm, yeah, almost forgot about that" he muttered.

"So what are your thoughts on Rebecca Lewis?"
"Becca?" I asked confused.
"Why do you even care about her?"
"Well, I kinda ran into her yesterday at the hospital" he shrugged.
"Guess she knows now... She said she wasn't gonna tell anyone but I don't know if I should trust her..."
"I think she already knew" I said, which made him stare at me with wide eyes.
"There was this look she gave at you during our confrontation earlier this week" I explained.
"I think she already knew but she just kept it for herself"
"Why would she do that? She's the type that tells everyone about everything" he said.
"Nah... She has her secrets, I'm sure of it" I sighed.

"But don't we all?"
"Yeah, look at me, I'm basically dying and everyone hates me" Thomas laughed.
"My only friend is some gay nerd that will probably move out of my life in no time... Hell, why am I even holding back at this point?"

Before I could ask what he meant Thomas was on top of me and he stared me down, slowly closing the gap between us. I closed my eyes, preparing myself for the moment to come. And before I knew our lips touched. His lips moved against mine while one of his hands lingered on my cheek. The other supporting his body above my own. Was it bad that I liked it?