4.3 Eric

I left Thomas' house in a hurry, tears stinging in my eyes. No! I can't let this happen! I knew I would ruin it somehow! Argh! My parents had warned me, told me so many times.

Don't evolve feelings, don't get attached.

Up until now it had been easy. I never talked to anyone, I stayed out of the picture. I didn't make friends, didn't fall in love. I didn't have feelings. I couldn't have feelings... I wouldn't. And now I did... I actually got attached to someone, I fell in love, hard. I hated myself for it! Knowing I hurt Thomas by being distant, while the only thing I wanted was to be in his arms... Knowing I could never have him, even if we both wanted to. Cause believe me, I fucking wanted to. But I couldn't. I just couldn't... The tears started rolling down my face but I was quick to wipe them away. Luckily there weren't that many people waiting at the busstation...

I bit my lip as I thought back on what happened. I had challenged Thomas, I knew he was gonna pick something like kissing. I knew he was feeling a bit more than friendship ever since our first kiss. It was pretty obvious through his facial expressions and actions... But I challenged him, even though I know I couldn't develop feelings for him.

That's the moment I realised that I already had...but I just didn't want to admit that to myself... It's when I started acting differently, realising the full weight of my actions. I knew Thomas was confused and a bit hurt, but I had no choice. I should cancel our date this weekend. I couldn't spend anymore time with him. It was for the best, for his own good. Not that he'd realise that...

I couldn't tell him why, I had to act like a jerk and dump him without any explanation. Let him fall on the solid cold ground and walk away without doing anything to help him ever again. I had to isolate myself, it was the only way for him to be safe... A silent tear rolled down my cheek but I didn't care anymore.

In the corner of my eye I noticed a specific car. Two men in black. Iconic, don't you think? But it made me freeze with fear. They found us... I took the first bus that arrived, even though it wasn't the right one. I needed to get rid of them, I couldn't guide them to my home. They started up their car and followed the bus. Yep, certainly them...

I quickly grabbed my phone and called my mom.
"Hey Eric, calling cause you're staying late?" she asked.
"T-they're here" I whispered.
"Are you sure?" she asked, becoming serious in an instant.
"I stepped on a random bus, they're following me" I breathed, slumping in my seat, glancing out of the window.
"I saw them, it's them, I-I'm positive"
"Okay darling, I need you to stay calm alright? Where are you right now? Which bus did you take?"
"I-I don't know, I didn't look. I... I'm driving past the school now" I whispered.
"Okay, good, stay on that bus, understand? Your father and I will come find you. J-just, hang in there alright sweetie?"
I nodded and glanced back at the car following us.
"Y-Yes, okay"

After that the conversation ended. The bus slowed down. Red light. Fuck. I saw one of them step out of their car. No. No, no, no! I grabbed my bag and started searching. They couldn't have it. Never. But I couldn't find it! Where the hell was it?! How hard could it be to find a fluffy white rabbit?! Suddenly the door of the bus was forced open. I shrieked back and shrunk in my seat. No. No, no, no... Water came to my eyes.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?!" the busdriver hissed and got up. The door opened. A bang followed. Fuck! The few people in the bus screamed, I didn't. I froze in fear of what was gonna happen.
"I am looking for a boy" the man hissed, holding the gun, aiming at everyone one by one.
"I know you're here Smith"
He spoke my name with such hatred and venom. Spit it out like it was dirt, trash. Smith. That last name left a mark on them...
"Come on out Smith... You don't want innocent people to die, do you?" the man asked and grabbed a woman from her seat. She was pregnant... I bit my lip, my hands were trembling. He was gonna kill her if I didn't do something...

"Don't hurt her!" I cried out and stepped in the hallway. My legs shaking, tears streaming down my face.
"It's me you want! No more innocent people have to get hurt!"
He chuckled, releasing the woman of his hold.
"Come here my boy" he grinned, pointing the gun at me.
"Make sure to take your bag with you"
I took my bag, slowly making my way over to him, feeling the eyes of everyone here on me.

I wiped away my tears, giving him my bag. He was quick to turn it inside out, letting all its content spill on the floor. He scanned my stuff. All of it school related. A calculator, a pencil case, some books, a few loose papers... Not what he was looking for.

"Where is it?!" he hissed and grabbed me by my neck, pushing me against a wall. My hands reached up to my throat as if on instinct, trying to peel his hands off me. I gasped for breath while everyone else in the bus whimpered, cried, screamed.
"Where is it?!" he yelled. I just glared at him. Suddenly I heard a few other shots outside. In the corner of my eye I saw a body drop. The other man? An innocent? I saw flashing lights.

Police... No... No, no, no!

"Drop down your weapon!" was shouted through a speaker. The man checking me laughed.
"Police... They really are something, aren't they?" he chuckled but let me fall on the ground, unharmed. I coughed as I got up to sit. His gun was soon pressed against my temple.
"No funny business" he hissed and dragged me out of the bus. His partner was taking care of the cops. Others as well. They weren't alone...
"Get in the car" he hissed and pushed me inside.

No. No, not this, not again... This wasn't the first time I had been taken... The first time they took me was when they discovered my parents had a child. The second time was when they were right in our track and we weren't on edge. We didn't expect it. Since then, we always expected it. This was the third time this happened... The third time for Godsake!

"Oh, would you look at that! Little Smith! What a nice surprise!"
I groaned, recognizing that voice.
"Whatever Damien" I hissed, only to get slapped in the face.
"Such rudeness! I expect better from you, little Nicolas"
I froze when I heard that name.
"Or wait, you go by Eric now, don't you?" he laughed.
"I liked Samuel better, how many have you had really? Do you even remember your actual name?"
"Of course I do" I hissed.
"But you'll never know, ugly"
Another slap. Argh, I hated these moments... But I couldn't show weakness, not to them.

"You never learn, do you? As stubborn as your parents, ridiculous"
I rolled my eyes as I felt someone else tie me down. Great. So this was going to be just like the last time huh?
"Just tell me what you want" I muttered, glaring at him.
"Same I've always wanted" he shrugged.
"I really thought you would have it on you... But torturing you into telling me where to look will be a lot more fun"

"My parents will find me" I hissed.
"And they'll make me pay and kill me and blah blah blah" he said on a bored tone while signing with his hands.
"Just like the previous times, right? Yeah, they haven't killed me yet Smithy! So good luck with that!"
Before I could respond to that, a cloth was put in my mouth and a bag pulled over my head. And after a loud slap against my temple, I fell down embracing the darkness.

...

"Well, this should do the trick" was the first sentence I heard as I woke back up. The bag had been removed but I still couldn't speak. I was tied to a chair and a camera was faced my way. I noticed Damien in front of me right away. His dark black hair pointing to every direction, his toxic green eyes staring at me.
"Ah! Look who's finally awake!" he grinned, making me groan.

"So since we didn't find the drive in your belongings, we kinda figured your parents know where it went..."
My eyes widened. No. He won't hurt my parents... He wouldn't be able to get them. That wasn't possible...
"I was thinking of sending them a message" he smirked, setting up a camera.
"But firstly... I would love to leave a mark on that lovely body of yours~"