6.1 Thomas

"See this structure of the walls and ceiling? It's a specific old style they used a bit after the Dark Ages for wine cellars and stuff like that" Becca started.
"So I searched for places where that kind of architecture still exists in this general area"
She pointed at a circle on a map with some dots on them.
"And then I remembered something from in the clip! Listen"

She played the video on a loud volume and I frowned, not knowing what I should hear.
"In the background, the water" she stated, like it was obvious.
"Like it's by a river or there are a lot of water pipes or something. So I checked with the locations of the building structure and found these two"
She let a few dots disappear, leaving two still on the screen.

"And judging on the kind of guy that was presented in the clip, the place Eric was taken, the direction they fled and stuff like that, I think they took him here. It's isolated enough, used for storage, in the right style and next to a water purification establishment"
She let out a breath and smiled. I just stared at her, wide eyed, not knowing how the hell she did all that.

"You should consider to join some kind of police force" I breathed, flabbergasted. She laughed a bit and shook her head.
"No thanks, I wanna become an astronaut" Becca smirked.
"Flying between the stars, yeah, it sure as hell would be amazing. Anyway, what are you planning to do with this information?"

It was quiet for a while. We just stared at each other with calculating gazes.
"You think we should go to the cops, right?" I asked.
"It's the logical choice" she stated.
"They couldn't stop him from being kidnapped though" I sighed.
"And how are we gonna explain how we know about all of this? We'll have to show the video and then they'll all know Becca"

It was, again, silent after that, like she was thinking about something.
"Oh God... Eric's parents are actually spies..." she breathed out.
"It's why they move around so much, why he changes his name, his appearance, his personality... He must've seen so much already"
"Yeah, why do you think I'm crying so much?" I asked with a low chuckle. She laughed a bit as well, even though this was all but a funny topic. Guess even in dark times people need something to laugh about, right?

"You're just a big baby" Becca stated with a smirk.
"But seriously Thomas, what if he's really there? We can't keep this to ourselves"
"I know, but I don't trust the police to find him either" I said and saw she understood my thinking.
"We have to find his parents" she said.
"They're spies, they'll know what to do"

"And how are we supposed to find them? They've disappeared" I stated.
"Well, I don't know yet but I'm sure we'll figure something out" she said, hope in her voice. I sighed and stared at the bunny keychain in my hands.
"That's what they want, isn't it?" Becca asked, following my gaze. I nodded, putting it away again.

"Whatever is hiding within that bunny is worth a lot to those people" she sighed, I nodded once more. She was right. Everything she said was true. Who knew Rebecca Lewis could be so smart? She glanced at the clock on my nightstand and groaned.
"I have to get going, dad wants me home for dinner... See you later alright?"
"Yeah, okay" I muttered and watched her leave my room.

I didn't let her out, I didn't want to. I didn't have enough energy. Everything was just to much at this point. I sighed and closed my eyes, thinking about nothing else but Eric. What if his parents already found him? What if they were already off the grid somewhere far away from here?

No, it wouldn't be that simple, his face was out there now. People knew he had changed names, lived in different places... People knew he had been on the run, police would be searching everywhere. But then again, they didn't actually do their job all that well.

I grabbed the rabbit again, looking at the adorable white fluff in front of me. How could it be that this is what they were looking for? Something about a drive with Smith files? Everything about his family and their missions... Tempting... I glanced at my pc and back at the bunny. So that drive was inside this thing, right?

I started twisting and pulling at the stuffie, wanting to find a way to get it out. Suddenly I heard a loud click. The head fell off and I saw some kind of USB or something. I smiled and pulled it out. The USB was shiny platinum with accents of black. Classy. I got my laptop running and put it in.

Password required

What the hell? I didn't even know you could put a password on a USB drive... I groaned and turned around in my chair. What the hell could he pick as a password? He changed himself constantly, so what was dear to him? What would he keep so close that he'll never ever forget? I stared at my screen with my hands in my hair.

His birthname.

My eyes widened. His birthname! Of course..! A name no one knows... Oh great! I pulled the stick back out and put it back in the bunny. I closed it off once more and put it away. Eric's actual name... Well, it ain't Eric, that's a fact. But what could it be? I sighed and stared at the ceiling.

Why was I trying to save him so badly? Did I really fall that hard? I chuckled to myself. So I fell for guys as well huh? That's new to me... Might be the cancer though. Or the lack of love from non-existing friends. My life truly is sad... I sighed, I really do that a lot huh?

...

"So why was that Lewis girl here?" Ellie asked during dinner. Dad wouldn't be home till Monday so we were still home alone.
"No reason" I muttered.
"No reason? Come on Thomas, there's always a reason. Certainly with you" she stated.
"Just drop if okay?" I sighed.
"I don't wanna talk about it..."

"Is it about Smith?" she asked but I didn't look up at her. I just stared at the table without answering.
"So that's a yes" she complained and rolled her eyes.
"What happened Thomas? You used to tell me everything!"
"Well, Eric happened okay?!" I hissed.

"He turned my life upside down and now he's gone and I just don't know what to do anymore! I know where he is but I've got no way to reach him! It's like I can see him through soundproof glass... See how scared and lonely he is, see that he's the same mess as I am... But everytime I call out for him, my voice doesn't seem to reach him. Soundproof glass. Image without sound. I can't take it anymore Ellie!"

Tears had formed in my eyes and my face got wet. My sister was just shocked and surprised at my confession. Did I say to much?
"You know where he is?" she asked with big eyes.
"You have seen him? Like a picture?"
"Just forget about it" I cried and got up from the table.

"Thomas, please-"
"I don't want to talk to you, understand?!"
After that I ran upstairs, slamming the door shut behind me. 'Closed' was clearly visible on the outside. It's been a while since Eleanor and I fought this often with each other. Since we were little, if I remember correctly. Guess we're just in that annoying teenage fase now...

But still, I hated having this fights with my sister. We've always been super close, especially since mom died. But this seemed to tear us apart more than anything ever has. Well, I've never been in a situation like this ever before... I groaned and pulled at my hair while tears streamed down my cheeks. I'm such a mess...

I grabbed my phone and watched the clip again, without sound. He said he was fine, but he didn't look fine. He was hurt. Not only his body but also his mind. He was also struggling with his feelings towards me, I just know it! The tears came quicker now. Hopefully we could see each other again one sunny day in the future...