6.4 Heather

We drove back to the Lewis residence but none of us dared to come out the car. I glanced at Becca, who was breathing heavily. I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment. I felt a hand grab mine and my head shot towards Becca.
"Let's do this" she breathed and opened her door.
"Right" I sighed and opened mine as well.

We walked to the front door together while I locked the car. I saw Becca glancing at her phone. 23:27. Fuck we were late. It's a miracle our parents haven't called... Becca opened the door and slowly closed it again. We heard laughing from the living room and stared at each other with confused gazes. I shrugged and pulled my shoes off, same with my jacket. Becca followed my example and gave me one last 'Here goes nothing' look before opening the door.

You don't want to know what we walked in on. Our parents making out with each other half naked. Gross! I gagged and Becca slammed the door shut again.
"That explains why they didn't miss us" she whispered, still disgusted.
"Let's go to my room"
"Seems like a good idea" I shuddered, trying to get the image out of my head.

...

It was 8 in the morning. Fucking 8 in the morning. Who the hell is trying to call me? It's weekend! I groaned and answered the phone.
"What?" I complained.
"Video call, sleepy head" I heard Becca say on the other side. I frowned and faced my screen. There I saw Lewis, sitting at her desk in her room, making homework or whatever. And on the other side of the screen I could see Thomas and Eric, eating breakfast.

Wait what?

"About time" Thomas commented with a smug face. I rolled my eyes and crawled into a sitting position.
"Why the hell are we skyping at this hour?" I groaned.
"Well, we just wanted to know what your parents said when you got home last night" Eric shrugged.
"At least you seem better than last night" Becca commented.
"Hey! I care for my boyfriend okay!" Thomas exclaimed, defensive. Eric turned fully red and stared at the table.

"Boyfriend huh? I wasn't aware that it was official" I grinned.
"Me neither" Eric stated and looked at Thomas.
"W-what? I-I just assumed that, you know, we're, like, uhm, dating now"
"So, you wanna be my boyfriend?" Smith asked casually.
"Ain't that obvious?" Thomas laughed and Eric rolled his eyes.
"Come here you smartass"
Eric pulled Thomas into a kiss and I noticed Becca making a screenshot of the moment.

"Anyway, to come back to your question" I said when they were done.
"We walked in on them making out with each other half naked on the couch at Becca's house"
"What?!" Thomas exclaimed while Eric just laughed.
"Are you for real right now?"
"Unfortunately, yes" Becca groaned.
"It was absolutely disgusting"
"I didn't know they were dating" Thomas said.
"They're a recent happening" Becca lied. Guess that's the best thing to do in this case.

"So now that we're talking love, how are you and Taylor?" Eric asked while hugging his boyfriend.
"I broke up with him Friday" she shrugged like it was no big deal.
"What? Why?" I asked confused.
"Just didn't love him anymore" Becca said.
"Besides, he's a giant asshole"
"True" Thomas stated and I nodded. Everyone laughed.

"So are Heather and Benjamin a thing already?" Eric asked Thomas, forgetting we were there.
"Nah, Benji doesn't have the balls to ask her" Hunter stated.
"What?" I asked, shocked.
"Benji likes likes me?! Why did nobody tell me?!"
"Well, it's quite obvious, isn't it?" Eric asked.
"Or is that just me?"

"It's you" Becca commented.
"Yeah, you're crazy good at reading people" Thomas said.
"What can I say? I'm trained as a spy, I have some talents" Smith shrugged, smiling like it's nothing.
"That reminds me of something. How did you guys find me sooner than my parents?"
"Ask Lewis, she figured it all out" Thomas sighed, pointing at their screen.

"Well, let's just say I'm pretty smart alright" she reacted.
"Becca knows Morse Code out of her head" Thomas stated.
"Oh, so that's how, the clip" Eric said, thinking about it.
"Yeah, that was actually meant for my parents. But how the hell did you figure it out that quickly? There are like a hundred warehouses nearby!"
"Architecture of the building, good radius and water in the background" she simply stated while writing some stuff down.
"It's not that difficult really"

"Ever thought of becoming a spy?" Eric asked instantly. Thomas hit him on the arm.
"You don't just ask something like that! Surely not after what happened!"
"Besides, I'm becoming an astronaut" she simply stated.
"Gonna work with NASA huh?" I asked, chuckling.
"That's the plan" she said and looked straight at me.
"Got a problem with that Stupart?"
"Argh, I thought we were past that name?" I groaned and saw Smith chuckle slightly.

Suddenly I heard glass break and frowned at the screen. Both Eric and Thomas looked somewhere outside the camera angle, their faces shocked.
"What the hell is he doing here?! How did he get here?! Where did he come from?!"
"Eleanor..." I sighed and Becca supressed a laugh.
"We have to go" Thomas said quickly and disconnected. I rolled my eyes.
"Typical Hunter"
"You read my mind" Becca laughed.
"But anyway, I gotta get going as well. See you Monday?"
"Yeah, till tomorrow" I yawned and ended the call.

...

I walked to school the day after. Alone. Benji had gone early so we didn't walk together.
"Hey Heathy, alone today?"
I looked aside and saw Thomas stepping off his bike, smiling at me.
"Hey Tom, where's your boyfriend?" I asked as we walked through the gates together.
"His parents came to pick him up yesterday, they're switching identities again" he said with a sad undertone.
"Is he gonna move far away?" I asked.
"Don't know... He said he was gonna text me once they've settled" he sighed.
"Well, I know you two will survive this" I stated with a smile.
"Thanks Heather" he smiled and glanced around the square.

"Look at us, talking again! Who would've thought!"
We laughed a bit.
"You're still a jerk, you know" I laughed and hit him on the arm.
"Ahw! How dare you hit me? I'm sick you know" he said, acting hurt, holding his arm. I rolled my eyes.
"Becca says you're gonna be fine, I'm sure you'll survive a small hit"
"Tss..." he sighed and crossed his arms.
"Oh look at that, Benji decided to join us!"

"What are you doing here?" he asked with a frown.
"Benji please, be nice" I ordered.
"Since when are we all friends again? Is it a charity case out of pity for Smith or something?" he asked and I saw it hit Thomas more than he wanted to admit.
"What? No! How dare you say something like that?!" I hissed.
"It's fine Heather, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way" Thomas said, trying to calm us down.

"Stay out of this" I hissed and pushed him aside.
"Thomas has always been our friend and yes, we went through a hard time, but that doesn't change a thing, understand?!"
Benji was taken aback and Thomas sighed, placing a hand on his shoulder. He whispered something in his ear en Benjamin's eyes widened.
"I'll explain everything later, alright?"
"Yeah, I'd like that" he muttered, glancing at me.
"S-sorry for my outburst"
"Oh, uh, it's okay?" I said on a questioning tone.
"Great! What a way to start the day, am I right?" Thomas smirked and continued like nothing had happened at all. What did he tell Benji?

...

At lunch I noticed Thomas and Benji sitting apart, talking in hushed voices. I frowned and joined them, the conversation dying instantly.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing" Thomas smiled and continued eating. I eyed Benji, tell me you bastard. He groaned and glanced around to make sure no one was listening in.
"Thomas just told me about, you know, his uhm condition..."

I chocked on my breath and coughed violently.
"I'm okay" I chocked out and drank some water.
"I though you were trying to keep that a secret?"
He simply shrugged and smiled.
"Heather, Rebecca Lewis knows about it. I'm sure it'll come out sooner or later"
"True, I guess" I muttered.
"Anyway, how was your day so far?"