5.1 Thomas

I was searching my stuff for Eric's rabbit keychain but couldn't find it anymore. Damnit! I already lost it! Argh... I let my head fall on the table and groaned.
"T-Thomas... Come see this. Now" Eleanor said on a tone I couldn't place. I frowned, confused, but walked over to her in the living room anyway. She turned up the volume of the TV and my eyes widened.

"A teenage boy named Eric Smith has been kidnapped from public transport yesterday evening" the news lady said seriously.
"He was taken with force by an armed group that attacked the bus he was on. Witnesses say the attackers threatened with lethal force if the victim didn't surrender. They also comment that it seemed like the young man was their target and they were looking for something he was supposed to have with him. Authorities are doing everything they can to solve this mystery and return the boy to his parents, which are still to be found and contacted. If you have any information on this event or do you think you know where the group took this boy, please contact the police on the number below"

"T-turn it off" I whispered, tears streaming down my face. But Ellie didn't listen. She was to focussed, to in shock.
"Turn it off!" I hissed and grabbed the remote from her hands, turning off the TV. I threw the remote in the couch and started crying out loud, not even trying to cover up my tears.

Ellie seemed to wake up from her trance and instantly pulled me in a hug.
"I-I'm so sorry Thomas..." she whispered, stroking my back. I just cried. I couldn't do anything else. I let him go... I knew he was acting strange yesterday. Distant, conflicted. But I let him go! I let him leave! This is all my fault!

...

Later on it turned out this wasn't a recent thing. That Eric had been on the run for these people for a while now... He had lived in many placed under many different names. No wonder he moved around a lot... He was hiding, he didn't want to be found... Eleanor kept saying I wouldn't be able to stop it and it would have happened eventually. It wasn't my fault.

I sighed as I walked through the schoolhalls, gossip everywhere around me. People probably wondered if I knew anything about it. If Eric had been involved in anything illegal, dealing of some kind. I walked into the canteen at lunch, not wanting to draw any attention. Guess not everything goes the way I want it to go...

"Hunter!"

I flinched at the sound, searching its origin. Heather. What? Why would she call for me? It must've been a mistake... But shortly after I found myself sitting at their table, Benjamin a lot less happy than Heather with my presence.

"I'm sorry about Eric, I know you two were close" she whispered. I glanced up, giving her a quick smile before looking back down. She meant well, I guess.
"Must be hard on you, losing your only friend" Benji muttered. Jerk.
"You have no idea..." I whispered, a tear dropping on the table. Oh great. Just great. Show everyone just how fucking weak you are!

"Apparently Eric wasn't even his real name..." I cried out loud and covering my face with my hands. I just wanted to disappear...
"What?" Heather breathed out.
"Yeah, I read about that" Benji sighed.
"The Eric Smith enrolled in this school doesn't exist. Nobody knows his real name"
"What kind of secrets does that guy have?" she wondered out loud.
"C-can we talk about s-something else, p-please?" I asked while trying to wipe my tears away.
"Of course! Sorry"
"No, it's okay" I said with a weak smile. She only had the best intentions, I couldn't be a total ass right now.

"Here" Benji said, handing me a tissue.
"T-Thanks" I whispered, taking it. Wow, didn't expect that from him...
"I-I actually think it's rather funny how misery can get even us back together... I mean, Eric obviously didn't care about me the way I cared about him..." I thought out loud. Look at my life, I'm the definition of bad luck...