Sneaking Out

Leo Lung lay down on his cot bed, sobbing. His life felt like it was falling apart. His shoulder hurt like fire, his brother was evil, none of them were the Dragon Warrior, and, to add to all of that, the Valley of Peace was destroyed.

Leo heard his door slide open. He looked and saw it was Master Shifu, his face fallen.

"Where...Where is Tai Lung?" Leo Lung asked, wiping his eyes.

"He was taken away. They are building a prison in the East Mountains for him. Chor-Ghom prison." The red panda said. Leo frowned. Even though his brother destroyed half of the Valley of Peace, paralyzed him and broke his arm, crippled Master Shifu, and almost stole the Dragon Scroll, he still had a feeling that he didn't want his brother to go to prison.

"I should have kept a better eye on him." Leo said, looking at his wounded shoulder, wincing as he ran his calloused paw over it.

"It is NOT your fault, Leo Lung, don't you dare tell yourself that." Shifu scolded him. "None of us could have predicted this, Tai Lung is on his way to prison and that is the way it's going to be!"

The lion winced as his master reprimanded him. Leo Lung sighed and ran his good paw through his mane, which was clumped and had some missing patches of fur thanks to Tai Lung.

Shifu frowned, sitting next to the large lion on his bed. He spoke again, softer this time,

"He is going to Chor-Ghom prison for life. I've hired the Anvil From Heaven to guard him."

"Anvil From Heaven?" Leo Lung sat up, sniffling, "What's that?"

"One thousand heavily armed rhinos. They are building the prison in such a way, putting the guards in such stations and position that Tai Lung will not be able to escape. This is never happen again."

"Are you sure? Tai Lung is much stronger than you think." Leo Lung looked at Shifu.

"I am pretty sure. But they are taking extra precautions to keep him there."

"Extra...precautions?"

"They didn't want to... to tell me anything." Shifu said, looking at his paws.

"Oh." Leo Lung responded. "I want to go visit him." He said, his mane ruffled a bit.

"No." Shifu said, his voice stern. "You won't see him. Is that understood?"

"I really want to see him. I still f-"

"I don't want you getting hurt!" Shifu said, slipping off of his bed and facing the lion, "You will die if you see that mon...if you see Tai Lung." He quickly corrected himself.

Leo Lung nodded silently. With that, the red panda left his room, limping heavily.

"You should get your shoulder checked out." He said before he left.

The room was silent. Leo mulled over Shifu's words. Reluctantly, Leo Lung stood and left his room. He headed towards the infirmary.

Two nights later

It was around midnight. The Jade Palace was extremely quiet, and moonlight seeped into the hallways and rooms. The staff was asleep, and Master Shifu was meditating in his room. Oogway was at the Sacred Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom. Leo Lung, on the other paw, was wide awake.

The lion knew that he had to see he brother one last time. Tonight was a full moon. If he did not leave now, he may never be able to gather his courage to escape. So the lion began packing for his journey.

Leo Lung slowly snuck into the kitchen. A bandage wrapped around his shoulder and he was carrying a bag with a change of clothes and his comb in it. Leo quietly opened a cabinet and grabbed some boxes and containers of food.

He was going to visit Tai Lung. After doing some research and questioning Shifu and the staff, he knew that Chor-Ghom prison was in the East Mountains, about a 3 days travel, there and back. He packed his clothes accordingly, and was now getting some food to keep him fed. He had already left a note for Shifu that he was going to visit his brother.

Leo Lung began placing the food carefully in his bag, and was keeping an eye out for any lingering staff or- Gods forbid- Shifu or Oogway. He wanted to go back to bed, but he wanted to at least see his brother one last time.

As the asian lion closed his bag and quickly hurried towards the entrance. His night vision helped him make sharp turns and, in one case, quickly hide in a closet when a late-night maintenance worker walked, or waddled, for it was a goose, by.

Leo Lung was about to open the gates and leave the Jade Palace, when suddenly he bumped into none other than Master Oogway himself. His heart caught in his throat and he quickly began whipping up an excuse.

"Leo, what are you doing awake?" The tortoise asked.

"I...I.." The lion stammered for something to say, cursing mentally as his mind seemed to go blank.

"You desire to see your brother." Oogway said mystically.

"How did you know?" Leo Lung asked, awed by the tortoise's all-knowing mind.

"I know when you are in distress." Oogway said, looking up at him. "Shifu will be incredibly worried."

"I know, I know! But..they are putting him away for life! I..I just want to see him one more time. I'll be back in three days. I'll come straight home, I promise. Please, please don't tell Shifu." Leo begged, quickly moving around Oogway and strapping the bag to his back.

Then, leaving the tortoise behind, he ran on all four legs to the east mountains, towards Chor-Ghom prison. Away from home. Towards Tai Lung.