The Furious Five

(We are starting to get into the action! This takes place during Secrets of the Scroll, where the Furious Five first meet! For reference, Tigress is about 16 years old, Leo Lung is about 28, and Shifu is about 48 years old.

5 years later. 10 years until Tai Lung's escape.

.

.

.

"Steady, strong! Keep your chin up, Tigress!" Sharp orders were barked out, "This is the way of Kung Fu!"

In the courtyard of the Jade Palace, Master Shifu and Tigress were training. Both animals stood with their backs straight as a board, their heads up and eyes staring forward.

Shifu had a determined, fierce look in his eyes, but Tigress looked apprehensive. She never questioned Shifu's teachings, but she wanted... more. Her ears flicked. Her tail twitched. It was like a primal desire, but instead of hunting or killing innocent prey animals, it was to fight villains. She wanted to fight villains with her own Kung Fu- not with this simple-stanced air-punching routine.

Tigress felt her adrenaline growing. She had to do something! She felt something growing in her. It wasn't anger, hate, or aggression, but it felt similar. {Containment!} She thought. {That's the word.} Tigress punched the air in front of her. She began thinking. Maybe if she showed Shifu just a little of what she could do. She did not want to be contained.

She wanted Leo. He would always tell her what would be the best thing to do. However, Leo was out running errands in the village. He could not save her now. She wondered what the lion would say. He would probably say something along the lines of 'Well, do you want Shifu to see what he wants to see, or do you want him to see you for who you really are?' Tigress mulled on that thought. A swirl of leaves blew in the wind above her. She hissed involuntarily.

"Control!" Shifu ordered, seeing that she was thinking about something instead of focusing on her punches.

Her palms opened and her claws unsheathed. She could not focus! She could not control! Shifu looked at her. Her tail flicked. Her pupils shrank to slits and a growl grew in her throat. Shifu frowned.

Tigress leapt up into the air, slicing each of the leaves above her into tiny pieces. Shifu watched from below. Tigress fell to the ground below, exhilaration replacing the adrenaline in her. She landed on all fours. Her slitted pupils grew round, and a grin creased her face. What a rush that was! Shifu, however, seemed to disagree.

"Tigress!" He scolded. "What are you doing?"

Her smile instantly fell. Tigress's ears pinned to her head in fear. Shifu continued to scold her, pointing out how she had no control and how she had no form.

"I'm sorry.." Tigress said softly, "I..I won't let it happen again!" She stared at the ground in shame while holding her paws in a salute. She wouldn't listen to imaginary Leo next time. She would just focus.

"I wish I could believe that." Shifu said, the disappointment and anger obvious in his voice. He was about to continue, probably to give her a punishment, but a large figure walked through the front gates. Tigress glanced out of the corner of her eyes.

It was Leo, her brother. He had bundles of food that he had bought from the village for the palace. Tigress, however, did not move to greet him. Shifu stared down at her, "One hundred laps around the courtyard. And do keep your knees up."

Tigress nodded, "Yes, Master Shifu!"

Leo Lung walked up to Shifu, "What is going on? Did Tigress do something wrong?" He glanced at her, watching as she jogged around the courtyard.