The Spirit Realm

Everyone always wants to know what happens after you die. Some people say that you come back, as something else, something new. Almost like a second chance at life. Some people say you go some place amazing, infinitely better than the mortal realm. Others say that you become one with the Earth, and have a chance to blossom into a beautiful tree or flower.

Leo Lung, the Kung Fu Master, had never listened to such talk. He was not afraid of what would come when Death appeared to him. He had always assumed that he had plenty of time left.

But now here he was. He was in the Hall of Sacred Warriors, laying in a pool of his own blood. Shifu clung to his mane, pleading with him not to die. Leo purred lightly, and his breathing slowed.

Darkness encompassed Leo's vision, and pain began to fade away. He did not fear Death, but he was certainly curious as to know what came next.

However, what the lion did not expect was the vast amount of nothingness. Leo did not hear or see anything. He could not hear the painful sobbing of his master, Master Shifu. He could not see the Hall of Sacred Warriors, or the red panda bent over him, begging for him to stay. Leo could not feel the pain erupting in his brain when his brother, Tai Lung, had smashed his head into the marble floor. There was no smell of metallic-smelling blood flowing from his head or beads of sweat from the battle against his treacherous brother and his followers, the trio of lions.

There was just nothing.

Leo could not move, speak, breathe or do anything. It was as if all he was was a brain, and he had no body to control. All he could do was think.

But that all changed when a figure emerged from the darkness. Leo squinted, but his vision was incredibly hazy.

However, as the figure drew closer, his vision cleared and Leo felt awe and wonder fill whatever body he had left. Master Oogway laid a clawed, weathered hand on his shoulder, and Leo realized he was still on his side, in the same position he had died in. The tortoise was wearing a green caped cloak across his shell, and a golden staff held in his free hand.

"Hello, Leo Lung." Master Oogway said, kindly.

Leo Lung's mind blanked as he stared at the Grandmaster. Oogway was here. He was here. It was like the tortoise was alive again, as if he had never died. The tortoise had a pleasant grin on his small face as he gazed at the lion.

"Master Oogway." Leo said, very softly. Leo let a small smile crease his muzzle. Oogway nodded softly, and Leo spoke again, "I've missed you so much."

The world began to fade into color. Everything was blurry and hazy, but Leo could recognize the blue and green colors around him. Leo tried to heave himself to his feet, but his whole body felt odd. Not really numb, but it felt...tingly. The feeling was similar as to when your leg or arm would fall asleep

"Master..what happened?" Leo asked quietly. He could remember the fight with Jian, Jiyu and Zhao. Then he went to fight Tai Lung. The two had fought, until Tai Lung slammed Leo against the floor. An excruciating pain had erupted in Leo's head. Then Po had arrived and began to battle with his brother. Shifu had comforted Leo, until the world faded into nothingness.

And now here he was. Leo gazed around at his surroundings. He was laying on his side, and he appeared to be on an island of some sort. Above him stretched a beautiful peach tree that resembled the Sacred Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom. Delicate pink petals lined the twisting branches. Startlingly clear water surrounded the island, stretching on for what seemed like forever.

In the distance, Leo Lung could make out large, vague rocks. Were they mountains? As Leo's eyes scanned the environment, he noticed that everything was either gold or green washed. It was almost like the two colors were clashing, fighting for dominance of the Spirit realm.