Chapter 25: Weight On Our Shoulders

"Oh my god, please, make her stop!"
Orin yelled into a cushion, sprawled out on the sofa.

Once the weariness of transformation had worn off, Mia had been a little...upset.

From the moment she'd woken up, she'd been nonstop screaming for her parents. She'd been going straight for over two hours at that point.

Liam held her, patting her back and rocking her patiently. He seemed to be the only one not bothered by it.

Orin was getting stressed, Hana was upset that she couldn't help and frankly, I just hoped that she would calm down enough to give my headache a rest.

"Liam, she isn't relaxing, we have to do something!"
Hana stressed, pacing back and forth across the living room.

"There there, it's okay...Hana, take her for a moment."

"What, why?"

"I'm going to call Asher. If anyone will be able to sort this out, it'll be him."
Liam said, grabbing his phone from the side.

"What, you're just going to leave her with another person she doesn't know? She wants her mother, she's just a little kid!"

"There's nothing we can do about that. Just keep soothing her, I won't be a second."
Liam slipped out into the back garden, the only place where Asher would hear him over Mia.

Her voice must have been sore, the cries had become rough and hard to listen to.
I felt awful for the poor girl.

Hana looked as if she was about to start crying any second too.

It had been so nice yesterday, seeing both Hana and Liam act so mature and take care of the kid.

But separating a child from their parents at that age was of course not going to be easy.
I wished there was some way she could go back, but it would never work.

She had to learn to feed, to control her abilities.

She could never return to a normal life.

None of us could.

Asher was quick as ever, taking the screaming girl from Hana's hands and cradling her delicately. He apologised for us all having to deal with such a ruckus so early in the morning and assured us we'd be told once Mia had been sorted.

It was still hard to watch her get taken away though, still crying her little helpless eyes out.

Either way, I knew Asher would take good care of her.

"Finally...I'm going for a shower, I need a break."
Orin huffed, skipping to the stairs while Hana disappeared to her room to get herself ready for the day, leaving me and Liam alone.

We both sat in awkward silence for a moment, just looking around the room until one of us could think of something to say.

"Um...would you like a drink, Alma?"
He finally spoke.

"Ah, yes please."

"Sweet milk coffee, I presume?"
He smiled.

"You know me well."

I watched him in the kitchen, gliding around effortlessly. He was so natural in there, I was convinced he could make drinks with his eyes closed and have no problems.

"You're awful smooth in the kitchen, Liam. It's impressive."

"Ah, well, Orin's mother and I used to cook together. She taught me to brew my first pot of tea. She was a wonderful woman, truly."
He smiled to himself, handing me my mug and returning to his seat.