\Chapter 41/ - End Of The Line

- Ethan Egan -

My wounded leg finally buckled beneath me, whole entire aching body collapsing to the ground.

Shotgun still in hand, I began to drag myself along the dead grass, teeth grit and eyes stinging with resilient tears.

What mess have I gotten myself into?

How did I end up in such a place, why?

Because I thought I was doing the right thing.

I only ever wanted to do the right thing.

Only halfway across the field, my grunts grew quiet as I slowed to a stop, body refusing to move on.

Mason had been turned. Ruined, tainted by Jäger and his people.
And it was my fault.

If I had never sent out that alert, if I had never tried to dig deeper into a world I didn't understand...

If I had never met Alma in the hospital that night.

Simply visiting an injured co-worker, several bones broken from something we then couldn't identify.

I wished I had never invited her to my car. I wished that I had never been captured by Jäger, his wife and his child. I wish that I had never tried to tell anyone what I saw, that I'd never dragged Dainan into this mess unwillingly.

I wish I had never met Mason.

And Alvy...

Everything that had happened was my fault...

I just wanted them gone, all of them. These Soulless beasts that killed men, women and children without hesitation.
I just wanted to keep everyone safe.

I knew it wouldn't be easy, I thought I knew what I was getting myself into.

But I became so distracted, so focused on just getting rid of them that everything else faded away in my mind.

Losing my job took away a huge part of me. I had dedicated my entire life to becoming a police officer. As a young boy, I dreamed of saving lives, being respected.

The day I was given my badge was the greatest day of my life.

God, where did everything go wrong...

Maybe it was all my fault.
I wanted something so badly that I stopped at nothing when trying to get it.

I let Mason get turned, abandoned Alvy and lost my best friend.

Now what do I have?
Nothing.

There's no way I can get rid of them alone, I don't think there ever really was a chance.

I forced myself up onto my elbows, gripping the shotgun tighter.

The world would be far better off with me gone.

Everything would have been fine if I had never been born.

I made this mess, I deserved to pay for it.

Pressing the barrel against my chin, my hand hovered over the trigger.
I took a shaky breath, prepared for it to be my last.

And then...

"What're you doing down there, officer?"

I scoffed.
"You can't even leave me alone to off myself? You sure are needy."

Jäger crouched down before me, that taunting smirk plastered across his smug face.
"Listen, my friend, I don't think that's a very good idea."

He pulled the gun from my grip, throwing it way out of reach.