\Chapter 45/ - Means To An End

- Ethan Egan -

I learned a sizable amount from the Rogues during my short stay with them.

Jäger still refused to tell me why they wanted the Council gone personally, but most were quite happy to share their ways with me.

Feeding on humans came with ridiculous benefits to a Soulless. Increasing all abilities, strengthening them far beyond the normal Soulless. To the point where they were able to mask their scent and become practically untraceable, some, such as Jäger, could even control the colour of their eyes.

"I keep them red as it is a symbol of my people. Also, any normal Soulless would recognise me either way."
Was what he'd said to me.

The more humans they fed on, the stronger they got.
That was why the leaders, Jäger, Tori and their late son were the best of the best. Being in charge, they had far more humans to feed from.

Most other Rogues would consider a human as a delicacy, a reward for doing good in the eyes of their master. For Jäger, it was a daily meal.

They told me of his immaculate control over his abilities.

If I wasn't so disgusted by the whole thing, I would have called it impressive.

"No way. If I'm doing this, I'm doing it properly."
I crossed my arms as Garbage tried to pass me the shotgun.

"Um...o-okay...what do do you think we should-"

"We have to take out six people quickly. People will scatter the moment they hear bullets. We want something fast. Something accurate."

"Well...w-we don't have any m-machine guns or or anything..."

"Okay...how about this?"
I asked, picking up the Steyr SSG 69. Externally they resemble a hunting rifle, however it was specially designed as a weapon for military and law enforcement forces.

"Yes, I s-suppose that could work..."

"Best option here. You haven't got much else for this kind of thing. Only one problem though. Six people need to die. This holds five rounds. Let's just hope the last bastard doesn't get away before I can reload."

"You boys almost ready?" Jäger asked, leaning against the doorway, "Ooh, that looks fun. Come on, we've got some more stuff for you."

Jäger and his guards gave both me and Garbage bulletproof vests, warning us that there will be armed guards present.

Then suddenly, Mason stepped out, also wearing a vest.

"What, he's not coming with us."
I frowned.

"Of course he is! You need someone to keep up the morale. I figured you'd be happy to take your friend. Plus, he's new to being one of us. This will be good practice for him."
Jäger smiled, patting Mason's back.

Mason stared blankly. It wasn't his normal, smiling stare.
It was empty.

Red.

"He's not my friend."

"Oh, Ethan, don't be so rude. You'll appreciate him once you're there. Go on, kiddo. You'll be fine."
He grinned, stepping back.

Mason didn't move or speak.
He definitely wasn't himself anymore, it was obvious.

"...w-well, we best get get going guys...come on."
Garbage lead us to the exit, waving goodbye to Mammoth on his way out.

I sat upfront while Garbage drove with Mason silent in the back.