Chapter 21

I'm internally screaming and wish I could update earlier than I do but I can't

Brett gave me an apprehensive glance as I led him well past the restroom where I knew no one would hear us.

"W-What do you need?" He stuttered, flustered by my sudden actions.

I leaned in closer to him, my voice a little over a whisper, "Brett, why is your mom here?"

"What? My mom? She's not here." A small wrinkle appeared on his forehead as he thought about it, confusion apparent in his voice.

I furrowed my eyebrows together. "What do you mean? I saw her. I know I did."

"Maybe it was someone else?"

I shook my head. "I swear by it, she was there. I know I saw her."

Brett seemed as though he wanted to have an answer, thinking very hard about it, but even though his lips moved, he never made a sound. However, someone else did.

"That's quite a naïve assumption. Lu is two hours away with her daughter Leena."

I turned to the voice I recognized, revealing the man himself. Brendon Urie.

He stood at least ten feet away, not making an attempt to step closer. If anything, he seemed uninterested in my very existence, taking his sweet time to fix his cuff links, focusing on them instead of me. "Impetuous woman," he spat out.

I couldn't say I hadn't been excited to see him after quite a while of being apart, but those two words changed my mind entirely. "Fuck you."

There was a thick atmosphere. The separation between us became almost too unbearable. I wanted to run to him, hoping he would go back to being kind, supportive, and thoughtful. Even if he was perverted, he never acted on it. He always respected my opinion.

I couldn't say the same now. If he really did ever respect me, why was he acting like this? He began to ignore me over a stupid mishap that could have been settled through a conversation.

It arose the greatest fear in me: maybe he had only ever wanted to toy with me, fuck with my head, then break me down.

"Brendon," Brett spoke out, his voice a dry, stiff tone.

As uninterested as before, Brendon fixed his other cuff link. "Brett."

Brett stared him in the face, his eyes hard. A one-sided battle seemed to be taking place. One between a man who intended to hold his ground and another who didn't care enough to acknowledge it.

"I'd suggest you leave, Brett, before any other false fantasies are put into your head." He looked up from his wrist to stare me in the eyes. "There's no reason to meddle with pointless things."

Now I was almost certain I was going to punch him. But, if I could avoid any casualty today, I wanted to make sure I leave Brett safe. He hadn't done anything wrong, nor did he deserve to be caught up in this mess. It was my battle to fight.

"Brett," I glared at Brendon, never taking my eyes off of him. "How about you go look for Lu. You know, just in case she's here. I saw her go down the other hall."

He gave me a worried glance. I could tell he didn't want to leave, but complied, knowing I had a reason to want to be alone with Brendon. "Just. . . don't do anything you'll regret."

He began to walk away. Even if I was confident I wouldn't make any impulsive decisions, it was likely I would. I couldn't completely guarantee that to him.

"I'll do my best."

It had been two minutes of silence since Brett had left. As if we both wanted to make sure he was totally gone, out of earshot, and unable to step in.