Part II: Chapter 1

Hooray this book has a "part two". Don't think of it as a sequel, just a division in the story telling you that it has hit a major turning point.

Mon 12-15-18 09:30

It has been hardly even a day since I arrived at what the other girls have been calling "Base Amber". I am not allowed to write down it's whereabouts, nor what it looks like. All anyone needs to know is that it's hidden and near impossible to find.
I am hidden here along with my friends due to a situation that puts us all in peril. I am not supposed to be alive. They aren't supposed to be helping me stay alive.
I'm not sure what we are planning on doing, but one thing is clear: no one is getting out of this unscathed.
My name is [y/n] [l/n], and I have been tracked down by the government for having knowledge of a secret device. The fact that this situation creates conflict and urges them to immediately rid me of the information, or even kill me, leads me to believe that they are not planning on using it for good.
That being said, if you find this journal I'm already dead. There's no harm in reading this, but I'm mostly writing it for myself in case I forget everything. Don't tell anyone about this journal if you feel inclined to read it. Burn it after you read it. And most importantly, don't go searching for me.

- - -

I jumped as two hands clutched my shoulders, a head craning to stare at my paper.

"Hmm? What's this?" Lexi picked up my journal, eyeing it up. By the way her eyes skimmed the page, she was speed reading.

"Hey! Don't read it!" I grabbed it back just as she was about to make a comment.

She sighed. "[Y/n]~ you don't have to be so serious. 'If you find this journal I'm already dead'," Lexi began to speak in a deep voice, her body stiffening. "No one's gonna die! And our situation's not that big of a deal."

If she thinks the government quite literally trying to hunt me down and kill me isn't a big deal, then I don't know what is.

Deciding not to respond, I turned to look at my surroundings once more. A modernly decorated home, beautiful yet simple. The blue walls breathed life and energy to make up for the complete lack of windows. An open living room gave way to a decent sized kitchen as well as a hallway with six separate rooms. This was Base Amber. Or just Amber, as everyone liked to call it.

As amazing as the inside was, the outside was what really helped us out. It was placed smack in the middle of a forest and trees—tall and short alike—covered the exterior invasively. The building was only one story, excluding the basement underneath, so that it could be sculpted in such a way that the mirrors that made up the entirety of the outside of the household could reflect off of the trees to make Amber a member of nature itself.

And, man, was it useful. This base took days to travel to by car, and it was worth it. I knew that I could be here for a long time without being found until we figured out what to do.

That was the major dilemma. Lexi's parents owned and built Base Amber. They did not know anyone was currently using it. Lexi couldn't contact her parents, though, for fear that they would give away the location of me to the higher ups. We couldn't contact Brendon about it because we didn't know where he was, and if he still had his phone we had no way of knowing who had access to the information we would send to him. The same for Lu as it was for Brendon. My father was out of the question, mostly because we doubted he knew anything of the situation.

So that left us. Four teenaged girls in a fight against the government. Alone. Woohoo, generic action movie! I sure hope it ends on a happy note like one, at least.

Our first line of business, though, was to determine if anyone was even actively looking for us. There was no reason to be hiding if there was nothing to hide from. The only person that could pull that level of illegal research off was Meagan, as I discovered not too long ago. Meagan had been born and raised to work in the computer intelligence force for Brendon's project. Because of her panic disorder and her parents' desire for her to stay inside for as long as possible to avoid triggers, she spent her free time improving on her skills. Apparently, she gained so much skill she was now considerably better than both of her parents.

Meagan was a very big reason everyone was able to make it out here safely, and she has so much skill under her belt she can do almost anything. This was, in part, due to her parents' decision to keep her inside, but I wouldn't go as far as to thank them for that action. It was an unhealthy coping mechanism, and Meagan never had the opportunity to improve her disorder, which leads to frequent episodes.

Lexi and Meagan were both born to government working parents assigned to the memory-device. Therefore, they were both trained for such a line of work. They knew almost everything, besides for my part of the story, which I filled them in on during the long ride to Amber.

I heard light footsteps approach Lexi and I from behind as we bickered, and I turn as Lily—or rather, Emma—nonchalantly took the journal out of my hand and read it. I hardly questioned it because of how casual she was, but not long after I snatched it out of her hands too.

"What's with everyone reading my stuff?"

Emma shrugged. "What's with your dramatic proclamation of death."

I stared her down, not knowing what to say back. "I figured that if someone were to find it, I wouldn't want them to get curious and try to look for me or do something bad, you know?"

Lexi and Emma both stared at me. Lexi looked more amused while Emma was doubtful.

I didn't understand what they wanted out of me. "What?"

In unison, they both mockingly recited, "'If you find this journal I'm already dead.'"

How the hell did they do that?

I was preparing my comeback when Meagan's frail voice sounded from upstairs.

"Hey guys, I've got a trail. Looks like they've still got Dallon looking for [y/n]. They didn't figure out about the car incident until about a day later when the guys didn't show up."

I smiled. Stupid government.

"But," Meagan continued. That couldn't mean anything good. "They're also allowing Dallon to select two more people to assist him since they've picked up on the fact that [y/n] couldn't have escaped alone. It's likely that they think you might have extra info about Brendon and his research that he's been keeping secret."

And now I scoffed. "Why the hell would I have that?"

"They're taking everything into account," Emma mumbled, deep in thought. "If you have something they don't, they're going to want it."

"Which means," Lexi piped up, suddenly excited despite the somewhat bad news, "they want you alive."

That was a relief. I wouldn't be dying anytime soon, I hoped.

Emma sat down, still deep in thought. "But why don't they just take Brendon and ask him?"

"Because," Lexi giggled like it was obvious. "They need him. He's the mastermind-behind-the-work-itself's son. It's likely Brendon has more knowledge on this stuff than everyone else, which he does. And since Dallon's probably told them everything Brendon's kept secret, they know he knows more than they do. Which means~"

"Which means what?" Emma snapped.

"I was getting to that," Lexi sang. "They don't want to interrogate Brendon, they want to get on his good side so that they gain his trust and he becomes a loyal worker."

It became clear that their best bet in understanding Brendon was me. I was closest to him, spending most of my time with him before I lost my memories.

"There's still something unclear here. I don't understand it," Emma rubbed her temples as we all looked at her expectantly. "If they want Brendon unharmed, then where the hell is he?"