Part II: Chapter 3

Heyo!! Hope all of you enjoy this chapter!!

Tap. Tap

His fingers drummed on the wooden desk. The other hand was caught in his hair, tugging it, yanking it.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

He couldn't get the image out of his head: Dallon pulling her away as she writhed, her mind asleep but her body full of energy.

She couldn't even scream for help. She couldn't even struggle.

Part of him had thought he had done the right thing by giving her her memories back.

The other part of him resented himself for it.

Brendon knew he had told Lily not to message him back, but it didn't stop him from staring at his phone 24/7. It had been almost two days since he sent the texts. Anything could happen in two days. If a single one of those girls didn't make it out alive, he'd never be able to live with himself.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when a small tea cup was placed before him, making a click as it gently collided with the wooden desk.

"Thank you, Lu," he gave a half hearted smile.

Her smile never made it to her eyes as she sat down next to him.

"Although, I did tell you to get some rest and heal up. You don't need to work today," he motioned toward the bandages peaking out from her shirt.

Lu shook her head. "This was me healing."

Brendon watched the small trails of steam ascend into the air, disappearing as the tiny molecules parted ways. It felt oddly familiar to him, like the heat coming off of a cup of tea could humorously relate to his life.

Tap. Tap.

He glanced at his phone again. A hand covered his. The drumming fingers ceased.

"She's okay, Brendon."

His nod was hardly there, but it just barely made a presence.

He wanted to believe that, but the more he waited, the more he watched his tea, and the more he thought about how he caused her to be taken away led him to spiral into worst case scenarios.

He was about to give up, but then his phone buzzed. He sat up, completely at attention, and grabbed his phone, bringing the screen closer to his face. Lu peaked over his shoulder.

Dallon
Hope you have a report ready tomorrow over that party.

Brendon slammed his phone down. His parties had always been used as a way to collect test subjects. Those who were too drunk to remember anything stayed at his place over night and he conducting tests on them. Similar to a mad scientist, he experimented on them like livestock. He never liked doing it, but it was the quickest and easiest way he could make enough progress on his job for the higher ups to not get suspicious.

And Dallon was asking for a report knowing full well he didn't have any time to do shit during that party.

"Acts like nothing happened," Brendon showed Lu the text. She frowned.

"I guess we'll have to write a report, then."

He stared at her and she stared back. Was she crazy? There was nothing to write about. No one had stayed over that night, and if they had, he hadn't payed any attention to them because he was too busy tracking down [y/n].

Lu, however, had already dug out some paper and a pen. "Do you want to write the truth?" She handed him the writing utensil. "Or a lie?"

He took the pen in his hand, unsure of himself. How he'd love to write the truth to vent his issue. However, Dallon was already in enough trouble for letting her escape, and Brendon didn't have the heart to get him fired. And writing the truth also meant it gave Dallon full reason to tell the truth about him. Then he would, consequently, have to tell the truth about Lily.