Chapter 28

Something about the smile that played on her lips as the thick, red liquid trailed down her skin brought me unease. Her hand was outstretched, beckoning me to grab it.

I hesitated. Lexi was one of my friends, but so had Lily. I am in no situation to trust someone, especially if they had blood clotted in their hair.

I focused specifically on one droplet. It slid off her bangs with great ease, slipping itself onto her cheek and trailing its way to her chin. It hung lifelessly, unmoving, before dropping and landing on her arm.

I grabbed her hand. I didn't know why, but from what I had gathered I didn't have much of a choice.

What bothered me the most was the sound of agonizing screams which alerted me that there was another person present. I hadn't had time to think about who it was, though.

My gag was pulled out, and I immediately responded with a question. "Where am I?"

"I'd say," Lexi thought for a bit, unwrapping the duct tape that bound my wrists, "about a hundred miles from headquarters and in some deep shit."

I gave her an expression as if to say Duh, you're covered in blood. That's not exactly an every day occurrence.

Or at least I would have, if not for the cutthroat yells that had been erupting nearby that taunted my restless soul with guilt. I had not even been the one to end their lives, and yet here I was, letting it happen. Sitting in wait as their hearts stopped.

Lexi seemed to catch on. "Don't worry about it. They're just some criminals that owe the big guys some favors."

The way she said 'favors' did nothing to quell my anxiety.

The last scream sounded, much like the chime of the clock alerting 12am! The end of all things. And also, apparently, the end of my stay in this location, 100 miles from the 'headquarters'.

"Let's go! Haul ass!" I heard another female voice roar. "It won't be long before they find out something's wrong and come searching."

I was being pulled away, but I turned my head to stare down the person making these orders. Someone I knew very well, which came as a surprise to me, considering everything.

Lily wasted no time ripping off the license plates of the van, stepping over corpses. I was pulled toward a separate car, one which I had just now noticed, and placed in the backseat. The next moment I looked at the van, it was on fire, engulfing the disaster-stricken bodies in the heat and preparing for absolute demolition of the world around it.

Beside me was yet another surprise: Meagan. She had a laptop in her lap and was undoubtedly failing to notice my appearance. Lily threw herself into the drivers seat and Lexi into the passenger.

So many thoughts were spinning through my head, I didn't think I could ask them all in under an hour. My head began to pound, and as if she could read my thoughts, Meagan handed me a bottle of painkillers, not even taking a second to look up from her screen.

I mumbled a thank you. Instead of 'you're welcome', Meagan turned her attention to Lily. "The desired location is opposite the headquarters. South."

The car lurched forward almost immediately, sending my body flying, which could have left me in a world of pain if not for the seatbelt adorning my shoulder.

Outside the window, I could see the flames pass, growing smaller with distance. I wondered if the possibility of homicide would ever be presented if the fire rendered the car in poor enough shape. I wondered what would become of their bodies, and what would be their final declaration upon investigation.

Murder-suicide. Hit and run. Arson.

What irked me more was that most of the critical rulings any court could establish were mostly, if not completely, true.

The flames themselves disappeared over the hills, but the knowledge that they existed could not be combatted by the flames rising toward the sky.

"I bet you have a lot of questions," Lexi stated, ten minutes into the car trip.

"Too many to count," I replied.

"Then, let me start by introducing my parents. John and Meredith Gillan."

I tilted my head to the side, not sure how Lexi's parents had any relevance.

"And mine," Meagan finally spoke with a smile, "Richard And Jane Huson."

Once again, I was confused. Was I supposed to know their parents? Were they famous or something.

"From what I understand," Lexi gripped the steering wheel, "you met them over dinner once. With Brendon."

My mouth formed the shape of an 'O'. I did remember a woman and a man being there to represent them and their spouses. Which meant. . .

"You and Meagan have parents in the business," I thought aloud.

They nodded.

"Then," I paused, unsure. "What about Lily?"

I wanted to know desperately why the girl who had previously betrayed me came to my side and is now driving me away from my doomed fate.

The girl in question tensed. "Emma."

"What?"

"My real name's. . . Emma."

I looked at her, perplexed. She had been keeping her real name from us, which was to be expected, but she chose to reveal it.

"I figured I would have been dead meat anyway. Might as well make it for a good reason."

I smiled at her kind words. She risked the position she had illegally maneuvered her way into just to help me.

That, and she most likely wasn't going to keep the job anyway, but I liked to think her intentions were entirely pure.

Relaxing a bit, I asked two questions: "Where are we going and where's Brendon?"

"Hide out," said Meagan. "No one will be able to find us there, at least not for a while."

I nodded, but anxiously waited for the second questioned to be answered.

"As for Brendon," Lexi continued from where Meagan left off, "we don't know."

I hope you enjoyed!!!