Chapter 25

It's the summer of 2001 and joe meets patrick and he's like— oh wait im supposed to let brendon tell the story sorry

"You were an anxious 16-year-old. I was a higher up in my job due to my father being the inventor, and he had been training me from a young age," Brendon put a hand over his face as if the very memory was painful to think about.

Lu did not stop him. Lily did not stop him. Dallon did not stop him. Dallon and Lily simply guarded the exit, waiting for him to finish explaining. Why weren't they stopping him?

"My father hosted many parties before he died. Because I was young and scared, I stopped having them. It wasn't until I was 19 when I started them again with enough encouragement from Lu, despite still being nervous about it. I wasn't really sure what to do with myself. And that was when I met you. At my first hosted party."

—/—/—/—/—

"Is something the matter? You look as though you are lost."

The teenaged girl stared up at the
boy, startled at his sudden comment. "No, no! I'm not lost, I'm just a bit. . . overwhelmed."

He cocked his head to the side, worried. "Is that so? Why is that?"

"It's just," she looked around nervously for a way to get out of the conversation, "I'm not used to so many people in one spot. All of them seem to know exactly what to do at a party like this, but I was just dragged here by a few friends."

He looked around the room, then addressed her. "Where are those friends?"

She hesitated. "I. . . don't know." The girl glanced away. "I think they ditched me."

His face fell. "Well, then, I think I know what you will be doing for the rest of tonight."

Her anxiety spiked. "W-What?"

Extending his arm for her to take, he placed her hand in the crook of his elbow. "Tonight you are a Queen. I will do everything in my power to make that a reality."

She had never considered being a Queen. All of the attention made her nervous. But if it was only for one night, she couldn't find a way to refuse. . .

The room of music, dancing, chatting, and snacking continued around them, but for just a second it seemed as though all of it froze, and that everything was going to be okay.

—/—/—/—/—

"From then on, you came to every party. In each one I found you. Every time I asked you to dance. At first it was because I was worried you had been ditched again, and I wanted you to feel safe and have fun. But then, it was because I enjoyed dancing with you."

I nodded, listening quietly. I was not sure exactly what to say, so I stayed quiet. Brendon saw this as a sign to continue talking.

"I got your number and your home address at one party when I offered to take you home. You had told me you often had to walk long distances to get to places because your father needed the car to get to work, and he hadn't had the money to buy another one. I told you I could always send someone to pick you up and take you wherever, whenever."

—/—/—/—/—

"Mr. Urie, you have a call," a woman with a ponytail bowed and offered his phone.

The man spun around in his chair. "To whom do I owe the honor?"

"[f/n] [l/n]."

He stopped spinning. "Thank you, Lu. I will take the call."