Part II: Chapter 4

Sorry for not updating last week!! I was really busy <3

I couldn't help but stare at the phone.

Just a few hours ago, I had been talking to him. I heard his voice. And he was worried about me, he cared about me.

I wanted to see him as soon as I could.

"We have to be here for a few months to make them think they won't find us."

With one sentence, my entire posture sunk and I slid off of the couch.

"What?" Emma cocked a brow at me.

Taken aback at the sudden attention, I answer  feebly: "I was just hoping that, well, it would be a little sooner?"

She narrowed her eyes. "You wanna live or not?"

I put my hands up in defense. "Okay I get it, I get it." I got up from where I was sitting. "So what do you need me to do?"

Emma smirked. "We have to find some information, so," she handed some papers to me, "I'm putting you in charge of this."

My eyes skimmed over the fine print of the paper, primarily landing on a photo of someone all too familiar to me. It's a full report of Dallon. I looked at her questioningly.

"Listen, we need to know as much as possible about him. You probably know him better than any of us do. I was only on one job with him. . . Long story short, you need to add info if you know anything else."

I nodded. I didn't know much about him either, but I'm sure if I searched deep down I could figure something out.

I read the document more closely.

Age: 38
Height: 6' 3"

Wow, he's tall.

Position: runner; council member
Reliability: high
Number of years in service: 38
Born into position? [yes] [no]
Loyalty: very high
Performance: always normal to high

I frowned. This is nothing juicy. All plain stuff. I picked up a pen and began to think.

Maybe I could add some more personal things in there?

With my pen, in large ink, I wrote prefers hard liquor over fruity drinks.

I giggled. Now I just needed some information that would actually be useful. The tip of my pen brushed my lip. "He really likes women," I murmured. "But he also really likes keeping a good reputation."

I groaned. "Think, think! Don't just go surface level, think deep!"

I thought as hard as I could. He has nice hair. Not useful. He's very neat and tidy. Again, not useful. He kinda knows Lu. Kind of useful. Him and Brendon are childhood buddies.

Dallon and Brendon are childhood buddies, was added to the paper.

I perked up. I could always ask Brendon.

"Meagan!" I called.

Instead of just Meagan, all three girls came running.

"Haha," I nervously laughed as they stared at me. "I'm gonna contact Brendon."

"Why? To proclaim your love once and for all?" Lexi cooed.

My cheeks heated up.

"No," Emma intervened. "It's obviously for sexting."

"Ew, use a different phone, [y/n]. All four of us are going to have to see that."

"Okay, can you guys just shut up for a second," Meagan squealed, her ears bright red.

I mouthed a "thank you" to her.

Meagan motioned toward me, signaling that it was my turn to speak.

"If anyone knows anything about Dallon," I gulped, "it's Brendon and Lu."

I saw the looks of confusion.

"Brendon and Dallon grew up together, okay? Plus, they work together. He has to have something we can use."

Meagan nodded. "Text him, don't call. It's getting late and you called him just a few hours ago."

I agreed, but I secretly was disappointed I wouldn't get to hear his voice. "Yeah."

I sent him a quick text: Hey, what info do you have on Dallon?

"Alright," Emma yawned. "Let us know if he texts back."

Lexi and Meagan nodded and headed toward their respective rooms.

"Wait!" I called after them. "You're just going to leave the phone to me?"

"Well, yeah," Emma said. "You're the one who texted him. And besides, he'd be more willing to have a conversation with you than he would with the rest of us."

They continued to walk off with small snickers.

God, it's hard having a cute guy in love with me.

I decided the best course of action would be to get ready for bed and relax for a bit. However, while laying down, I couldn't stop staring at the  phone. Brendon hadn't responded. Obviously, he was just busy. But it didn't make me want to talk to him any less.

Suddenly, after several long minutes of staring, the phone buzzed. And buzzed. And buzzed.

I was getting a call.

I quickly answered it. "Hello?"

"[Y/n], hello. Long time no see," Brendon's soft voice left the phone.

Immediately, my smile grew. "Long time no see. What's with the call?"

"I saw the text message and thought 'fuck it', ya know?" He chuckled a bit. "I just. . . really miss you."

I could almost feel my heart expanding for this man. "I miss you, too. . ."

For a while we both sat in silence, our phones pressed to our ears, enjoying each other's company and the sound of the other's breathing.

"Anyway," he coughed. "You wanted to know about Dallon?"

"Yes, sir."

I heard him groan. "Don't call me sir."

". . . Yes. . . sir." I sniggered.

He sighed. "All of my employees always feel the need to call me sir. Why can't they just call me Brendon. It feels weird for people to call me sir." He realized he was rambling and cut himself off. I giggled. "Sorry, haha. I'll send you some files. As you know, I was a childhood friend of Dallon's and Lu watched him for a while when his parents couldn't."

"So you've got the real dirt."

"Oh, hell yes I do. Whenever you're in doubt, just give yourself a little look at those files. It's too much to condense into a phone conversation."

"Yeah, and I'd forget most of it."

"No, I'd forget most of it."

We both laughed. I missed this. I missed him.

"Hey, you sleep well tonight, okay?"

I didn't want him to go, but he probably had a busy day ahead of him, so I didn't want to make him stay up any longer than he had to. "Yeah, you too."

"Call me if you need anything. I'm trying to do whatever it takes to help you. Lu is by my side and we're here for you."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"Goodnight."

"Night."

And with that the call was over. Not long after that, the files Brendon promised were sent to the phone.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!