Chapter 23

IM SO SORRY FOR BEING GONE FOR SO LONG.

I didn't mean to be gone for so long, I was just taking a short break and one thing led to another. Thank you to those who stuck with me <3

I ran.

I ran, feet bare, down the hall, my feet now padding on wooden floor. And for once, I was not dreaming, and I knew exactly what was going on.

I was running, looking for the door. The door I saw in my dream. Deja vu hit me like a wave: in my dream I had also been running on this same hardwood floor, and I knew my destination was near.

The dilemma was that the door looked no different than any other door, and I didn't know why I was drawn to the specific one in that moment. I seemed to just know.

I braced myself. I also seemed to just know what was waiting for me inside. I was terrified that it would change who I am forever. That the second I stepped foot in that room, there would be no saving me.

But I had to go.

I had to help Brendon. I had to help Dallon. There must have been some mistake or a misunderstanding. Brendon and Dallon would never hurt each other; they were childhood friends.

My hand grasped the gold knob. I struggled to turn it.

Locked! Fuck!

I needed a way in. I hated to admit it, but I was desperate. I would do anything.

Without care for my appearance, my fingers searched through my hair and unsheathed a bobby pin from the now-tangled-mess, and then another. I stuck the bobby pins into the lock and prayed that maybe a memory of how to pick a lock would come back to me.

But no memory came. I continued to maneuver the bobby pins. Was it better to give up? Find another room? Maybe my instincts were wrong and Brendon was not inside here at all.

Almost as if on cue, a metal object scraped the floor and impacted against my foot. I looked down, my fingers finding it. A thick base with a long point at the end.

"A lock pick?" I looked up to see dark hair tied in a ponytail, leather pants, and a button up, all in black. A woman with a serious look on her face.

"Use that. Technically the boss told me not to let you into this room, but I don't give a shit anymore. Let him punish me later."

I stared incredulously at the woman, shock written on my features. "Lu?"

She smiled. "Do you need some help with the door, Miss [L/n]?"

Lu crouched down and easily broke open the lock, giving me a wink and pressing a finger to her lips to indicate that I needed to be quiet. I didn't know why I needed to stay silent, but I trusted her. Something told me she knew a lot more than I did.

I followed after her, slowly and nervously. But she took one look down into the room and gracefully, albeit quickly, made her way down the stairs.

"Lu," I heard Brendon gasp out. Air got caught in my lungs.

Lu stood alert, waiting for his next order. I ran down the stairs to stand beside her. Part of me wished I hadn't. I knew what would come next may change everything.

But I had the courage not to care.

The scene around me inspired many emotions. Brendon's shocked eyes seeing me. Dallon's hand grasping a gun. Blood soaked in Brendon's shirt. Not a single scratch lay on Dallon.

A surging pain flooded from my toes to my head and I let out a cry. I suddenly knew more than I had before. This room, the device pointed at me. The crying man and the girl beside me. All parts of the dream were in here.