Part II: Chapter 2

Hope you guys enjoy!! I love you all <3

The morning started out with a modest breakfast, the traditional pancakes and bacon, made by Lexi, and a fruit salad made by Emma. I recalled Lexi shoving multiple boxes of pancake mix into the shopping cart upon our quick visit to the supermarket on the way to Amber. She claimed it was her specialty, although there was not much involved in putting together pancakes from a pre-made mix.

And of course, the lovely memory of Emma forcing fruit salad down everyone's' throats so we could "stay healthy and alert" will forever be burned into my memory. . . and possibly my throat.

Meagan ate to her hearts content, shoveling food into her mouth like she hadn't eaten in days. Emma ate until she was full, mostly consuming the healthiest foods possible. Lexi watched over the spectacle with pride, working on finishing her eighth pancake and reaching for her ninth. Smiling, I took a sip of my [favorite drink]. It was nice that even though dangerous threats loomed over our heads, we still had it in us to enjoy ourselves. That meant a lot, psycho dystopian government considered.

What was really significant about that day, though, was what came after breakfast.

Ding.

Everyone sat completely still. Texts and phone calls had been off limits to hide our presence, so all contacts had been silenced other than people we absolutely needed to hear from: Brendon, Lu, and each other. The sounds of chewing, laughing, and silverware were lacking. No one had their phone with them at the moment, just themselves and their food.

Wordlessly and impulsively, I began to stand.

As soon as I left my seat, though, I couldn't contain my excitement and began to run. I reached my phone and grabbed it, the bright screen lighting up.

No new notifications.

"Shit. . ." I mumbled.

The next thing I knew, the other girls were going to their previous locations before breakfast and checking their phones, too.

"Nothing here," Lexi called from the couch.

Meagan's small body poked out from a bedroom and she shook her head.

All of us waited for Emma, who walked out of the basement, head in her Android.

"What does it say?"

Emma didn't respond. She was entirely engrossed in what the device had to offer.

I couldn't tell how much time passed with her hands tightening over the phone as we anxiously stared at her. Lexi's fingernails made a distinct click as they hammered over her phone case. Meagan's feet were uneasy. After Lexi's her knuckles had paled and her face was paler, Emma slowly turned the screen toward us.

Brendon Urie
I trust you have her safe.

Don't respond. I don't know who else is reading this.

Listen, if Dallon figures out what's up, he's not having any mercy.

I stood, conflicted. I was so glad he was okay, but nervous about what the message entailed.

"I was thinking," Emma trailed off, perplexed. "No mercy. . . As in what? He needs you alive." She pointed a finger at me.

Lexi's mouth stretched into a thin line.

Ding.

We gathered around her phone again, tripping over each other to see the message.

Brendon Urie
If he gets to you before we do, everyone but her is dead.