6-The Oak Tree

Shizuo's POV

I opened the door as Izzy walked in. She stayed silent as she sat her zipped up duffel bag beside the couch. She still gently clutched the photo frame to her chest. She turned to me and had a sad smile, "Just for tonight." I shook my head no, "No stay for as long as you need."

I grabbed her bag, "Here let's go to the guest room." She slowly followed behind me as her footsteps grew softer. I opened the door to the guest room. Revealing a bed with blue bedding and a black dresser. The walls a pale grey and light stained wood flooring. The doors the same colors as the floors. A lone window and a closet.

I smiled, "Here, this is the guest bedroom. Feel free to make yourself at home." She went in and laid the picture frame face down on the dresser. I sat the duffel bag by the foot of the bed. Izzy said, "Are you sure this is okay? Even for tonight? I'm a danger magnet."

I laughed, "That's cute Izzy, but you're really nice. If anything I'm here to protect you." She sat down on the bed with one of her arms clutching the other, "I'm not really that nice. Believe me..." But all I've seen is you be a normal adult... I sighed, "Is that why the gang attacked you?" She nodded her head yes, "Now I have to get a new alias, I can't be Jomi Grayshan anymore."

I smiled, "It's fine. Your name really suits you Izzy." She brushed one side of her hair behind her ear, "You really think so?" Her head tilted a little as she lightly smiled with closed eyes. Yeah I really think so. I smiled, "I can assure it."

Izzy's POV
--in her dream that night--

I stood under the tree in my white dress. The spaghetti straps slightly twirling themselves up. I smiled at my friends, "Come on, we should have someone take our picture." Miryu continued sitting on the red blanket by the picnic basket. Her pink sweetheart dress suiting her skinny body. Her black hair gently touching the ground. Her green eyes piercing my light red ones.

Miryu said, "Come on Izzy it's fine. We always have this picnic. Our first year, second year and last year. We always celebrate success here. There's going to be lots more." I sighed, "Come on Miryu, we only graduate high school once though."

Chase ruffled my hair, "She's right though Miry." His blonde hair and blue eyes shinned brightly. He now stood beside me in a cherry red shirt and blue jeans. No sit back down. He smiled, "Besides that it's just one photo. It'll commemorate us graduating Miry." (Mm-ear-E) She sighed then stood up with a light smile, "Fine guys let's just get it over with." No don't let it happen again...

I went over to two lady's on a bench nearby. One agreed to come take our picture at the oak tree. She held the camera and commented, "Your all so pretty. Just smile." No please... She said, "Alright 3.. 2.. 1.. smile." Stop it! No! Wake up! It can't happen again...

I went and got the camera. I went to the blanket and stuffed it in my purse. I stood up and went back to Miryu and Chase, "Hey you guys want to go get ice cream?" This was over four years ago! Please? I don't want it... Miryu had a blank look, "What'd you think we'd get? Salmon?"

I giggled, "You never change Miryu." Chase said, "Come on we need to get you two heading home. You're parents will get worried Miry." She sighed and hung her head, "Come on, let's forget about em for today. It's our day." Chase shrugged his shoulders, "Alright, fine by me. Who's paying for ice cream? I think it's your turn Izzy."

I smiled, "Yeah." Then I saw them two men in all black. No! Chase smiled, "Come on how long will we have to wait then? Let's go." I stared at them then went to the blanket. I put my purse on, "I'm glad, we made it." Chase nodded his head yes, "Yeah you got accepted to E university Izzy. And you got into A university Miry. Meanwhile I'm entering the workforce next week."

Miryu joked, "Its cause you're so muscly Chase." I began giggling, "Come on Miryu. It's cause he's tall of course, I mean look he's 5"11." Miryu grinned, "You're a foot shorter than him right now. Remember, pipsqueak?" I sighed, "Come on, I'm tall in my personality Miryu. That's enough for me." Chase said, "Girls I think you're both sassy enough." Stop!

I started walking then there was four gunshots. My knees buckled under me out of fear. I looked beside me. I noticed Chase bleeding a lot. Miryu got frantic and got on the phone with the cops. I gently moved to where his head was on my thigh. He moved one of his hands from clutching his chest to gently touching my left cheek.

He weakly smiled, "Are you okay Izzy?" I let tears fall which hit his cheek, "Am I okay? Look in a mirror." His hand moved to my side. He said, "But there's so much blood... on your white... dress. Izzy?" I clutched his hand, "Chase it's okay. Just hold on. It's okay, just breath. Miryu is calling for an ambulance. You can make it."

Chase sadly smiled, "As long as... you're alive I'm never dead. So... promise me something?" I couldn't stop my tears, "Yes Chase. Anything." He said, "Tell my parents... that I love them. Tell Sydney she was always... my favorite little sister. But please... please don't die like this... I never want to see you shot... but right now... Izzy... Izzy, I'm sorry..."

I clutched his hand, "No it's okay. Come on. My treat to your favorite restaurant soon. You'd like that right?! I'll do stuff. Please Chase, hold on!" His blue eyes stopped shining. My tears started falling harder, "Chase! Chase! No! Please... Chase..." The paramedics arrived and put him quickly onto a stretcher. Miryu glared at me, "If he's dead it's your fault, cause your brother is always out there making enemies. He took the bullet, it was meant for your brother."

Tears streaked Miryu's face, "He loved you for so long. He never loved me, so I always stayed friends. Hoping our kids would be friends one day but in the end now... If he's gone, I will hate you forever."

--end dream--

My eyes quickly opened and stared at Shizuo's. His hand on my shoulder, "Your up. What happened? You screamed in your sleep, I got worried." I weakly smiled, "Just a bad memory. It seems like a nightmare from my life. But I can't change it. Sorry I woke you Hewa-kun."

He sat himself on the edge of the bed, "It's fine. And do you want to talk about it?" I shook my head no. He sighed, "Alright, I'll stay here till you fall back asleep. You're safe right now Izzy, don't worry about it." I said shakily, "I-I... people have, have wanted me to die for so long... why can't I be normal?!"

Shizuo rubbed my head, "It's okay. It's just your surroundings. You're a sweet person." I shook my head, "No." After Chase died, Miryu hated me. I buried my birth certificate and some other documents under that tree. And I decided to outsmart the criminals. Those two men are dead now. False rumors can go a long way...

Shizuo smiled, "Come on Izzy. You're amazing. So why think anything less? I mean you're sweet and stuff." I stared into his brown eyes, "Do you know my profession?" He shook his head no, "No but that doesn't really matter. Now does it? A ton of people work in offices and hate it. One of my friends are constantly hired to save people. I even know a person who's profession is being an idol."

I smiled, "You know, you're kind of naive." Shizuo said, "But it doesn't really matter. I know who's good and bad. And Izzy you may think you're terrible. It seems like to me that you're a good person with bad tendencies." Poor Hewa-kun... Wait when did I stop thinking of him as Shizu-chan?!

He's not like Izaya describes. Yet it's not a time to pick sides or fight. He's offered me his home as temporary safety. I need to leave tomorrow. I smiled, "Thanks Shizuo. But I don't see it that way." He grinned, "Then stick around and I'll prove it to you."