14-Awaken

Izzy's POV--1 week later--

My eyelids felt like they had 50lb weights on them. I forced them to slowly flutter open and saw the white ceiling. What... wasn't I? Wasn't I actually dead? It felt like my head was pounding. I laid while gaining up strength. Eventually I lifted my head up and looked at my stitched up left arm and the IVs in my right one. My head fell backwards. Why'd this have to happen?

Wait... What really happened? I remember going to the bathroom and breaking the razor blade. Then... Then? What happened after that?! I know I wanted to die... But what happened? How am I here? Did Shizuo bring me here? I stared at the ceiling while contemplating what could've happened.

The door opened, "Hey Izzy I'm back." Shizuo? He's here? I heard him slowly walking towards the bed I was in. Then I finally saw Shizuo. I noticed the dark bags under his eyes even with his sunglasses on. His hair ruffled in different directions.

He reached towards me with his hand and I stared. His eyes widened and he pulled his hand away, "I-Izzy... Your eyes are open. Your eyes are open. Shinra!" With that he rushed out of the room.

--5 days later--

I sat up with pillows behind my back. Shizuo sat at the foot of the bed staring at me. Shinra sat in the chair that was beside me. I sighed, "Why do you come here everyday?" He said, "To see you. You've only been able to talk the past two days." I looked at my hands in my lap, "I wish I could get out of here." He said, "Izzy why'd you do it?"

I looked down and shrugged, cause I'm dirty. I said, "I felt like it. I don't remember anything... The last thing I remember is getting into the bathroom." Shinra said, "Izzy, that's your mind blocking the memory. Or... at least trying to. It's trying to protect you from the trauma."

I stated while staring at my lap, "No, it was an attempt. Say it like it is. That's what it was." Shinra said, "But Izzy you should stop. Hey Shizuo we should step out." They left me in the room and I stared at the door.

Shizuo's POV

We had went to the kitchen. I sat in the chair across from Shinra. I said, "What?" He sighed, "I think we should check her into a psych ward." I said, "You're a doctor so it's up to you." Shinra said, "Yet I need one of her family members. I can't ask her sisters, they're under 18. Her parents don't like her or Izaya. That's why after her..."

He took a breath, "Her "attempt" in high school she was released to Izaya. He's the only person that would look after her. The two used to be a pair. So close, they were partners in crime. Eventually she ended up working for him as an informant, cue when you met her. Yet Izaya hasn't messed with your house so she never informed him it's location. But considering he's the only one I can turn to, to get her admitted that is. Yet I think he's the cause of this."

Shinra hung his head, "So I'm leaving it to you. Cause you'd have to pretend to be her fiancé. If so I'd declare that she has amnesia and simply forgot her own fiancé. But I really think she needs to be in a ward." I said, "Well I do agree. But Shinra I don't feel comfortable doing that. I'd hate that flea doing it too. So... well, maybe we could keep her at my place or your place and keep an eye on her."

Shinra placed his hands on his cheeks, "Shizuo... fine. I can't force you to." I sighed, "She's so weak right now. It's hard to believe that she's younger than me and probably think she needs to feel this way." Shinra said, "She isn't the best... I will agree she's young to us but she's not the youngest. Girls younger than her actually succeed."

I stood up and turned away. I sighed, "I know and I don't like it. But... she's still alive. Izzy is alive right now." I turned back to Shinra, "It's hard. Cause I... I fell in love with her Shinra. But in the end I can't tell her. I have to protect her, from me. I can't love her. Although she may die sometime, I don't want it this way. One day she may move on and find someone. And I'll be happy for her."

Shinra held a sad smile, "Shizuo, you know you could tell her." I shook my head, "No." In a way I'm a monster and never want to hurt her. I'd rather stay at a distance, close enough to care but far enough away to not hurt her. That's what I want between me and Izzy. I may love her, but I care about her more.

---1 week later---

I gently held her elbow as she sat down at the table. I smiled, "You feeling better today?" Izzy sighed, "A little." I said, "Okay it's your first day back here." She stared blankly at the table top. I said, "Okay is there anything specific you want to eat?" She shook her head no. I sighed and went into the kitchen.