Almost

"Are you sure you two are not in a relationship?"

Everyone who sees us always ask us the same thing. Then we'll look at each other, smile forming in our lips. I'll wrap my arms around her shoulder and she'll wrap hers around my waist then we'll both say;

"Almost."

We met each other in a library in our school when we were in high school. I was freshmen that time and she was sophomore. I was reading a novel written by Shakespeare that time for my reaction paper when she sat across me.

"Reading William Shakespeare's work, huh? That's nice." The young cat-eyed brunette said.

"It wasn't really nice if you were just forced to read a story about two brat teenagers who ended their own lives just because their parents forbid their blossoming love life." I said as I looked up to see the girl in front of me. She's cute. She has a cute chubby cheeks that look so fluffy. Her hair was neatly tied to a bun that looked like a horn.

The girl laughed. Her laugh is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.

"So kids back in 16th century was as messed up as the kids in our generation."

That's our first conversation. I still remember the reason why she was in the library. She failed her chemistry (well not literally because her grade was A but she considered it 'failed' because it wasn't A+.)

She helped me in my reaction paper, since I dont have anything nice to say about the novel, honestly. Reading  novels are really not my thing. I'd rather read comic books. In return, I helped her with her chemistry since I was surprisingly good at it. Well, that's because both of my parents are chemists, that's why.

Days have passed and we became close. We go to school together since we live in the same subdivision. We also see each other during our PE class in gym. We are also clubmates (Glee Club), without knowing it.

I developed a little crush on Jennie. I think it's in inevitable. She's perfect! She has sense of humour and friendly and that is my ideal type of girl. Her looks and brain are just bonus.

We have circle of friends in our school and they always, as in always, tease us saying;

"You look so cute together," , "Just marry each other!" And so on.

Unlike other friendship that will be awkward after that, we just play along with them. It benefited me anyway coz my heart beats abnormally whenever she gets near me. We play pretend, acting like we were on a relationship. We act sweet to each other, care for each other, but I know that's how she treat her friend.

It somehow saddens me that's why instead of confessing my true feelings for her, I just kept it to myself. I can't risk my friendship with her and I am happy to be her best friend, her almost girlfriend.

I remembered our JS Prom. That was my first time attending such event and that was her last time because she was already on her senior year. I remembered how my body was shaking because of nervousness. My mind can't think of way how I can dance her.

I remembered I was standing in front of her, she was sitting on her seat and she was looking at me, smiling from ear to ear. There was no word coming out from my mouth but then, she dragged me to dance floor. It was awkward, imagine two girls dancing in the middle of the dance floor, wearing beautiful ball gowns. It was awkward. We were almost awarded as the Queen of the Night that time but when we dance together, the judges was shocked so they removed us from the list and then we laughed together.

It was perfect. We were dancing as if we were the only one who were dancing that time, drowned in each others eyes.

We took advantage of our time because we knew that was the last time we can hold each other tight. She will go to college and take path different from mine.

She went to New Zealand to continue her college and after a year, my dad brought me to Switzerland to study. We never had a contact but my feelings for her never faded. We had a deal before we part ways. We should not have communication that's why she blocked me on her social media accounts. I understand her, she has her reason.

After four years, one of our friends organized a reunion for us. Everyone said that they will come, that's why I came back to Seoul, hoping that Jennie will be there too and my hope didn't disappointed me.

She came.

She looked matured now. She grew to a fine woman. She showed me her infamous gummy smile that made my heart skip a beat and hugged me tight. I missed her so much.

"You're so tall." Is what she said to me after 4 damn years.

I just smiled and hugged her tight.

We were back to normal and when I say back to normal, I meant about how we act when we were on high school. We act sweet and lovey dovey all the time.

Whenever we go to mall, hand in hand, laughing and hugging each other, people will tell us we looked good together, like we were meant for each other. It flattered me of course, but just like the old times, we just pretend that we were.

Our squad went to one of the most famous beach in the country to unwind. I remembered when we play 'All truth' and the bottle was pointed on me. The question was 'Who is your crush in high school?'. I don't know that to do but in the end, I ended up saying;

"It's Jennie unnie."

All of them rejoiced, I don't know why but when Jennie spoke, my whole world stopped.

"I liked you too, Lisa." Past tense.

So whenever we go to mall and someone will ask us;

"Are you in a relationship?"

We'll just answer;

"Almost."

Everything went well between us. She continued what we started in high school. My love for her didn't falter and she said that she also feels the same. I love her and she loves me too.

I am watching her walk to the aisle. She is breathtakingly beautiful. She is a walking piece of exquisite art that captures every heart of the people inside the church, including me. My heart beats faster as she walk closer to the altar, no words come out from my mouth aside from,

"You're beautiful."

She finally reached the altar. The priest started his preach but I wasn't listening. My eyes was glued to the girl who's looking so beautiful in white. 

"You may now kiss the bride." The priest announced which made me startle. I wasn't paying attention to him earlier but hey! Here comes the most exciting part.

I watch Jennie closed her eyes, a smile was evident to her lips. Moments later, I heard everyone clapped their hands and I clapped mine too.

Nothing beats the feeling of watching your almost girlfriend marry the love of her life. She looked so happy so I am happy.

Even if she didn't ended up with me. I am happy that her husband is a good man so I am confident that she will have a happy life with him. 

I am happy that she is happy, for her happiness is my happiness. A tear escape from eye. Everyone may think that it's a tears of joy, but I know better.

I am now contended on what we have. Best friends. I regretted not telling her my feelings earlier. I lost my chance. She loved me too but I didn't tell her that I love her too. Then maybe we weren't just almost.

After the wedding, I went back to the school where I am teaching. I am working as a teacher in a seminary and I am proud to say that I am a nun. We may not ended up to be together but I know, God has a better plan for us.

And that's our almost love story.

*

A/n: Sorry for the ending everyone. Did I broke your JenLisa heart? Please dont bash me.