Chapter XVII

POV: Aletta

I awaken to the scent of a soft aroma of freshly brewed coffee lingering in the air. I open my eyes and swing my legs out of bed, completely hypnotised by the smell.

I can hear muffled voices conversing in the background as I get closer to the kitchen. That's odd.

Once I arrive, I'm surprised to see my father sat opposite a familiar man, and that's when I remember the events of last night.
I look down at myself, taking in my appearance and I realise that I'm still in yesterday's clothes.

Before I can turn around to go and shower and get changed, my father notices me. He offers me a cup of сoffee, and I just can't refuse.

I take a seat beside papa, opposite Angelo, with a confused expression gracing my face.
Papa explains that Angelo stayed the night after he carried me to my room. A pink flush spreads across my face as embarrassment settles in the pit of my stomach, at the thought of Angelo having to carry me to my room while I was sleeping.

I am perhaps the worlds most ugly sleeper. I snore, sleep talk and drool. Basically, me sleeping is a pretty freakish sight to behold.

Also, Angelo carried me all the way to bed, it's no wonder he was so exhausted. I'm not particularly light and skinny like the other girls at school.
I'm not too keen on sport and I prefer shopping with my friends or binge watching Netflix. I'm also quite tall, which couldn't help with my weight, I'm surprised Angelo didn't pass out from having to carry me.

"Did you sleep well?" Papa asks me, and the question takes me by surprise.

I think about the question and realise that, last night was perhaps the best nights sleep I've had in months, possibly over a year, since when Maman was diagnosed with cancer, I wasn't able to sleep well.

Also, after she died, I'd have many sleepless nights due to nightmares. I still do have nightmares sometimes, and my sleeping pattern is very irregular now, probably out of habit of not sleeping well. It's surprising how well I slept.

I look at papa and smile. "Yeah, I slept really well, thanks."
I glance over to Angelo and I swear I saw a faint smile appear on his lips. He looks even more handsome when he smiles.

I think he senses my gaze upon him, due to the fact that he turns his head to look at me. We maintain eye contact for about 5 seconds, without saying a word, until I shift my eyes away.

For some reason his gaze set me alight, making me burn with desire I've never felt before. But desire for what? I'm not sure.

Angelo turns to face papa as well and papa is sat with an amused expression on his face. Papa's eyes shift from me to Angelo and back and forth a couple of times.
As I watch, his freaky grin spreads wider, making him look like the joker.

I'm completely confused, so I ask him what he's doing.

"Oh, nothing." Is his only response. His grin spreads even wider as he responds - I didn't even realise that was possible.

"Seriously papa, you look like a maniac." I say, dead serious.
He glances between me and Angelo so I add, "right, Angelo?". Hoping that Angelo's response will stop him creeping me out.

"I-uhhhh." Angelo doesn't know how to respond. That is the first time I've ever seen Angelo speechless! He always has something to input in any conversation.