Chapter XXIII

POV: Aletta

***two weeks earlier***

"I'm sorry but who are you?" Dima says to me and I just stare at him, completely and utterly dumbfounded.

What? Huh? He- I...

No! This can't be! A-Angelo would have told me if he had a twin...wouldn't he?

My breathing becomes frantic and I clutch a hand to my chest. I don't know wether to laugh or cry or shout at what I just discovered.

All the emotions bubble to the surface as I glance between the confused man and the photo album on my lap.

A tear rolls down my cheek before I chuckle angrily, gritting my teeth together.

I stand up straight and wipe the tear that rolls down my cheek, and stop my laughing.

My posture is bolt upright, and my smile is as real as Kim Kardashian's butt.

Dima just stands awkwardly, fumbling with his silver Rolex watch. He watches me cautiously as I edge my way towards him.

I stop right in front of him and stretch my arm out for him to shake my hand.

"It's nice to meet you Dima. My name is Aletta." I say neutrally, attempting to mimic Angelo's mesmerising poker face, but failing miserably and ending up with a bitter twist to the words rolling of my tongue.
I emphasise his name, trying to make it sink in, but it still feels unnatural.

That should be Angelo.

I eagerly shake the thought of Ang- That man- from my head, still wounded by his secrecy of his own twin.

Dima takes my hand, shaking it wearily before offering me a friendly smile. Much better than my bitter grin.

My smile falters a little as my eyes wander to his cute lopsided grin. The same grin I remember so vividly when I was up on the hot air balloon...

I rapidly regain my posture, not wanting to crumble before this complete stranger and his lips move into a straight line.

"Not to be rude, but what are you doing inside my mother's room?" Dima questions and I frown, not knowing a response.

"I didn't realise this was Kataya's room?" I state to myself rather than Dima.

"Well, it Is. Actually, what are you doing here, overall." His question startled me but I instantly remember the conversation I had with Mr Sorokin before going to the room.

"I'm here on business." I recite the words that Mr Sorokin said, confidently.

Dima simply nods before placing a finger on his chin and continuing.

"I figured. It's just odd that my grandfather would place you in my mother's room." He says and I shrug it off. I don't know what to say so why bother panicking over what to say.

I give him a smile before asking, "Do you need anything? Because I don't want to be rude, but it's late and I would really love to get some sleep." I say that truthfully as I am exhausted, but the main reason is that I really dislike this man. He is probably just as much of an ass as his brother, pretending to care for me before lying to me.